challenge tip

I’m loving this book
Fruitbook

it is written by the Body for Life guy, and it’s all about Food. It’s a very easy read and makes a TON of sense. There are LOTS of full color recipes. I’m definitely modifying things, as I’m NOT about to cook with just egg whites, or buy low-fat cheese (eew) but I am really enjoying the reminders and good common sense with which it was written. This is where I got the idea for a FREE day, which I really need by the end of the week!!

The motivational book I’m reading right now is kind of scientific, but I totally dig it too. It’s called Finding Flow, the Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life — it’s by my guy, Mihaly Csikszentmihaly (wrote two books that I referenced in The Big Picture)

If you’re reading a good book, comment and share!!

Comments

1. I am almost finished reading “You are not what you weigh” by Lisa Bevear. It is very good.

2. Just finished reading: It isn’t easy being green. That was really good, took notes. Now I’m reading Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom. My Vt comp recommended it, about listening to our bodies and how our emotions and stuff are really intertwined with our health–moreso than most people realize.

3. I have that book too and love it. My favorite recipes are the meatloaf and his mom’s chicken enchiladas. Yummy. :)

4. I’m reading What to Eat by Marion Nestle that dispells many myths about health foods, talk about organic vs non-organic, the setup and marketing in a grocery store (and the business behind it all) and whole bunch more. Very interesting.

5. I am reading, “Use What You Have” by Barbara Corcoran. She’s the founder and president of a multimillion-dollar real estate agency in NYC, and she started off her living room couch with $1000 and one listing at age 22. She’s hilarious, basing her business advice on her mom’s rules when raising a family of 10 kids. Very fun, and practical, too!
    xoxo
    Lain

6. Ok…so I’m honestly not sucking up….but I ordered your book this weekend and I’m counting the hours until I can go home and open my lovely UPS package.
    But some of my favorites that seem like ones you would like as well are “Who Moved My Cheese”, “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” and “7 Habits” of…fill in the blank. I like them all.
    Sorry for the long comment, but I also want to thank you for Glimpses. I recently downloaded it and it has reinspired and energized me.

7. For inspiration I’m reading a collection of essays, This I Believe, from the NPR radio show that started in the 1950′s and has been revived. Written by the famous and the unknown, many are truly amazing and inspiring. The web site also has collections of essays not published. It’s wonderful.

8. Terry A says:

On the subject of egg whites, here is the trick- do half and half with whole eggs and egg whites-1 whole egg to 1 egg white to get you started. We do this with our scrambled eggs and with a little salt and pepper they are just as good. I have been doing my eggs that way for a few years since I found his BFL book and my whole family can not tell the difference. Try it once with real oatmeal made with splenda and cinnamon with the scramlbed eggs for your BFL breakfast of good carb and good protein.

9. Rebecca Foxworth says:

I’m READING Body for Life for Women, by Dr. Pam Peeke, but I’m REALLY slow as life has been going really FAST lately! Taking a bit to absorb the concepts.
    I’m LISTENING to one of the best books I’ve ever heard in my life (you know those ones that just HIT you?)…it’s called “It’s All Too Much!” by Peter Walsh (yep, the Clean Sweep guy)…and I downloaded it to my iPod on audible.com. LOVE the way his focus is on creating the life you desire, getting a vision for yourself, and taking action to make that vision happen as it relates to clutter in your home that slows you down. LOVING this book (especially the Aussie accent, as it’s read by the author)!

10. just finished Paula Deen’s autobiography. LOVE that woman…anyone who cooks with buttah is a hero in my plus size world!

11. Nicky H says:

I’m a SAHM of a 3yo and a 7 yo. The only books I have time to read are Dora the Explorer, Spongebob Squarepants, and the Magic Treehouse books. LOL Of course, this is in my scrapbook already!

12. Leauriy says:

i’m reading Simple Abundence, cause i’ve never finished it…have sstarted it several times but have never gotten to the end.

13. I just finished “It’s All Too Much” by Peter Walsh from Clean Sweep. Loved it. I have been a bit of a pack rat and this book has really helped me simplify my life and create a ‘home’ that I want to live in.

14. I did Body for Life a few years ago and it works great provided you make sure to include fruit in your carbs. I also found it wasn’t good for me physically or psychologically to go too crazy on my free day. A good recipe that doesn’t exactly fit into the program but is pretty close – 1/2 Cup of oatmeal (grind in a blender to a fine powder) add 1 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 cup of egg substitute (add to blender), 1/2 cup of non-fat cottage cheese (add to blender). Blend until smooth. This makes very good, healthy pancakes! (Cook like you would regular pancakes.) I still make them for myself and my family today. It was a great way to get calcium into my son who wouldn’t drink milk. I warm up 1 TBSP of syrup and dip my pancakes in it instead of drizzling all over. You get a strong taste and save on calories.
    I’m reading the Pursuit of Happyness. I love a good true story of triumph over adversity!

15. The book I’m reading is The Air I Breathe, by Louie Giglio.
    It is about worship and how God has wired us to worship Him. In some cases though because of this me-centered world we end up worshipping something else instead. Good book, good insight and highly recommended!!

16. Beth Gianturco says:

I’m reading two interesting books right now. The first is “How to see yourself as you really are” by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. I am not a Buddhist but I find his words and the way he lives his life so inspirational. The other books is “This Year I Will… How to finally change a habit, keep a resolution or make a dream come true” by M.J. Ryan. I’m only into the first few pages but hoping it can help me from focusing on what I *really* want and stop sabotaging my good intentions.

17. Just finished Me, Myself and Bob by Phil Vischer about the rise and “fall” of his company and what God taught him through the “loss” of his dream. The bulk of the book was interesting, because I cared about the company and the work they were doing, but the last three chapters about what he has learned made the whole thing for me!

18. Meredith Shepherd says:

Thanks for all the reccommendations. I plan to look up a few of these titles and request them from my library.
    I’m currently reading, You, The Owner’s Manual & You on a Diet, both by Michael F. Roizen & Mehmet C. Oz.
    It has been fascinating to learn all about “ME” and how to make my body work for me and not against me. Love the myth busters.
    I just took a job with Scholastic books so now my list of “Books to Read Next” is growing. Best perk is being able to buy them for 1/2 off the cover price! Woo-hoo! Just got Kermie.

19. I totally agree with you. I purchased this book at the beginning of the year when I saw it at Books-A-Million. We have enjoyed so many of the recipes. It has become our most used cook book. I also blogged about it. It really is that great!!!!

20. Stef B. says:

Reading a few right now: “Out of the Salt Shaker and Into the World,” “Total Money Makeover” by Dave Ramsey, and “Family” (my guilty pleasure) by Karen Kingsbury.

21. My husband and I have been living the body for life lifestyle for over four years now & love it. I love my free day too! Bought that cookbook right when it came out & almost every recipe has been tried, loved, and worn out! Egg whites & low fat cheese really don’t taste all that different and I still feel like I’m getting everything I want to eat. Love that it’s a lifestyle, not a diet. I am reading, “Proper care & feeding of a husband” by Dr. Laura. Loving it so far! Loved “the Peacemaker,” too…

22. Elizabeth K says:

I’m reading ‘The Taming of the Shrew’ by William Shakespeare, if that counts. :)

23. I posted a blog entry about a week ago based on my library book list.
    Right now I’m studying “Childproofing Your Dog” for the second time (third dog, first dog bit and this book made a HUGE difference with pooch no. 2)
    I’m also reading Cultural Atlas for Young People “Thailand” because the only adult Thai books were travel guides.

24. I’m reading Finding Flow at the mo also and put Ali Edwards onto it, am about halfway through. I love it and it seems a great inspiration for my scrapbooking. I do like reading things philosphical but with a scientific backup, ie lots of facts and studies.
    I’ve done Body for Life 3 times but now I’m vegetarian again so it’s too hard and I’m not a fan of soy after reading more up to date evidence that is not the haalthy food it was once deemed to be. I much prefer Fat Flush Plan by Louise Gittleman and do that about once a year and it keeps me on track. And I’m a big Callantics fan though it’s years old now.
    Thanks for the inspiration, Ruth

25. Down the same lane: Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Quite a few mythbusters there too. I love that it is simple to follow, and that the weight thing is just a bonus – the health part is the main focus.