this is for you cindy!

I try hard to respond to email and other various requests that come my way, but this Spring has been particularly busy and I have therefore tried the patience of a handful of people, including Cindy. I met Cindy in Alabama and she has been waiting ever since for a copy of my “jog tunes” playlist on my ipod, which I played portions of during my Finish Line class. I’d like to blame my procrastination soley on a lack of time, but there is something else at play here.
I am NOT hip and cool like Cathy –from the perspective of music, I’m a big dork. I love music. I love a good, steady beat. I love the way it motivates me. I love the lyrics and how they can strike you at the just the right moment with spine-chilling inspiration, but … I’m stuck in the past! add to that the fact that I’m all over the board in terms of genre (or whatever that word it) and I just don’t feel "cool" talking about music. I’m the kind of person that has to hear a song for a year or more on the radio before it really sticks – and then I still have no idea who sings it or how to find it. Owning an ipod and using itunes has helped dramatically and I can’t imagine jogging or speed cleaning without my tunes. I am grateful that Clark is growing and becoming more aware, as he is helping me hear the new stuff and learn to appreciate it, sooner — but I am still musically challenged, so please know that this is a stretch for me, to put my songs out there.

Oh well, there isn’t much left that you don’t already know (ha) so, at the request of Cindy (and a few others,) here’s my jogtunes playlist, as of May 28, 2007

1. Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Astley
10. Walking on Sunshine, Katrina and The Waves
11. Hip to Be Square, Huey Lewis & The News
12.  Shake It Up, The Cars
13.  It’s All Been Done, Barenaked Ladies
14.  Le Freak, Chic
15.  I’ve Done Everything For You, Rick Springfield
16.  Like Wow! Leslie Carter (Shrek)
17.  Sugar, Sugar, The Archies
18.  Hit Me with Your Best Shot, Pat Benatar
19. Heartbreaker, Pat Benatar
20.  Drive Faster, The Vicksburgs (That Thing You Do!)
21. Eye of the Tiger, Survivor
31. Mr. Nice Guy, Will Smith
32. Footloose, Kenny Loggins
33. No Parking, Midnight Star
34.  Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry
35.  Beat It, Michael Jackson

My cool-down music
1. Closer to Fine, Indigo Girls (Cathy did tell me about this one)
2. Unwritten, Natasha Beddingdorf
3. Upside Down, Jack Johnson
4. Every Moment, Joy Williams
5. Little Wonders, Rob Thomas
6. Day of Praise, Hillary Weeks

There you have it, my current collection of 35 songs that I jog to – I do change the list up from time to time, but for the most part it stays the same. It may be a strange variety perhaps, but well-suited to almost any mood, or level of energy. If whatever is on doesn’t feel right,  the song just a few down or up the list will!! I almost always walk up the last hill (to my house) and listen to one of more of my favorite cool-down songs – gave you those too! All of these songs are available for download at itunes

Perhaps you’ll be reminded of song you love that you’d like to share with me! If you have a upbeat song I should add to my list – comment and tell me OK?

I’m actually working on broadening my horizons with what I call New Music Monday. I set an alarm on my computer, to go off at noon on Mondays, this reminds me to find a new song and go eat lunch. The song doesn’t really have to be new – just new to me, and as you can clearly see – that shouldn’t be that hard!!

Comments

1. Heather says:

i love your list. looks perfectly fine to me. i don’t know much recent music either. i’m 35 with 4 kids 7 and under, i don’t get out much!!
    there’s a christian band called third day that has a ton of upbeat songs. i usually treatmill to their cds. check out “keep on shining” off their recent “wherever you are” CD. it’s upbeat and seems like your kind of lyrics.

2. I also LOVE your list…and can always use suggestions. I love Joy Williams’ voice. A new one that you might enjoy is Maroon 5′s “Makes Me Wonder”…very upbeat and fun.

3. Aahhh! Just realized the Maroon 5 song has a really bad word…I take back my recommendation. Sorry!

4. Stephanie says:

I LOVE “Some Kind of Wonderful” by Grand Funk Railroad! :-) You just GOTTA sing along with that song!

5. Stephanie says:

6. jeff actually loaded my ipod for me–i just said “pick fun stuff that i can run to” and of course one of my favorite songs on there is Buddy Holly by Weezer. Gotta love those ipods.

7. I love every bit of those songs lady. SO FUN :)

8. Too funny! I’m the same way. I can never remember the names of songs or bands and my ipod doesn’t help because I got the cute little shuffle that clips onto my clothes….
    It was a glorious day when my son discovered his love for music…and we have similar tastes. He likes some of the old stuff (depeche mode, styx, men at work…can we say eclectic?) but he also loves all the new alternative and “hooks me up.” I just hand him my ipod and tell him to make it fun..
    I can’t remember everything I listened to this morning while I was on the elliptical, but I do remember Green Day – Holiday. I’m sure I probably had plain white t’s, fallout boy, afi, my chemical romance, taking back sunday… just don’t ask me to hum the songs for you!

9. Jennifer says:

Easy Like Sunday Morning – The Commodores (Lionel Richie)
    Daughter – John Mayer
    The Things We Do For Love – 10cc

10. Raewyn A says:

Stacy I have sent a msg via the SS messageboard and also have tried to email you via SS but my email bounced. Hoping you can help me out here please.
    On page 73 of the May/June 2007 issue of Simple Scrapbooks, it says you can download a permission slip to “scrapbooking freedom” signed by yourself. When I go to the downloads page at (simplescrapbooksmag.com/download) I can’t find it. Can you please help me find the slip so I can download it and frame it for my scraproom.
    TIA
    Can’t wait to meet you in NZ later in the year!
    Raewyn (New Zealand)

11. Deirdre says:

Love your list! Nothing is more cool than embrassing one’s “uncoolness”—gotta smile at the Rick Springfield! And oh how I wish I still had “Hit me with your best shot”—so many good tunes playing in my head now.
    I’m struggling with running but these are the tunes that get me moving:
    “I Run for Life” -Melissa Etheridge
    “See the World” -Gomez
    “I’ll Meet You Halfway” -Partridge Family (how’s that for uncool!)
    “Come On Eileen” -Dexys Midnight Runners
    “A Little Less Conversation” -Elvis
    “Run” -Snow Patrol (also happens to be the best song ever recorded, especially if you listen to it from the point of view of a parent)
    If you’re running outside, “I Can Only Imagine” is a great one, as well as Martina McBride’s version of “How Great Thou Art”.
    A great cool down: “The Way I Am” by Ingrid Michaelson
    An eclectic mix. Hope you find one that you come to love. Thanks!

12. Deirdre says:

Obviously I got “embracing” and “embarrassing” mixed up when talking about uncoolness:-)

13. Michelle says:

Your list brings back memories. I’ve been running with a friend, so my iPod has been neglected, but if she’s out of town, my favorite running song is Elevation by U2.

14. Love a band called Great Big Sea. They are out of Newfoundland, Cananda and their songs, “When I’m Up” and “Ordinary Day” never fail to pick me up.

15. Michelle says:

Oh, and for cool down, “Whenever I Say Your Name” by Sting.

16. Oh, Stacy, so glad to hear I’m not the only one!! I have to say, though, that when I have a chance to be in the car by myself (which doesn’t happen much since I have two young boys and I homeschool), usually after tennis on Monday evenings, I put in my Eagles Live CD…where are a couple of those songs on your list? They rock! :-) I also walk/jog so I need to get an iPod, it’s so much more fun!

17. Love this playlist. :) It’s Natasha Bedingfield, though. Unwritten is one of my favorite songs.

18. Ooh, thank you. Now to get my daughter to load some of then for me. And I knew I heard Will Smith when you were playing the songs. Cool.

19. I guess I am “uncool” too. I am turning 40 next week and I know and love all of your songs. I like the “oldies”. It’s comforting to me. My husband is way cooler than me and knows all the new stuff. My so-to-be 13 year old son, 4 1/2 year old son, husband and I all love Evanescence (sp?). It’s hard rock, grungy guitar with classical piano and operatic voice. Interesting mix. That’s as cool as I can be.

20. Hey Stacy – Have you discovered KT Tunstall? She is amazing.

21. Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for sharing, and I can always use good song suggestions.

22. I think you’d love lemonjelly – look for ‘nice weather for ducks’ on itunes as an intro.
    And John Mayer’s ‘room for squares’ album is awesome.

23. I’ll be adding some of those to my list. :)
    That’s a lot of music though! Do you go through all of them when you run? I walk/run for an hour a day and have been borrowing my 10 yr old’s mp3 player, so I’ve been listening to a lot of Hillary Duff, Raven and other Disney stars. Mambo Number 5 always gets me to pick up my speed though.

24. I strongly recommend the Christian rock band, Newsboys – particularly their newest CD “Go.” Just about every song on there is upbeat with a great message! Love, love, love it!

25. Kat (Lovebug Kat - the chatty one) says:

LOL! OK, I must say that if you are uncool with those song choices then I am uncool right along with you Stacy.
    I think you have all my favs on that list.
    Huey Lewis, Rick Springfield (oh I had the BIGGEST crush on him), Pat Benatar, Kenny Loggins, it doesn’t get much better does it?
    Rock on baby!
    I notice a distinct lack of Bon Jovi though…I love JBJ, lots of good upbeat songs from him. One of my favs “Who Says You Can’t Go Home”.

26. Lisa Bracale says:

Wow love your song list. I love so many of the songs on there.
    One of my FAVORITE songs to work out to is “This is how we do it” by Montell Jordan. It really moves and makes you want to keep going on the treadmill (atleast for me)
    Lisa

27. Tiffany Nash says:

Awesome song list. I just got an Ipod and was looking for some more motivating songs to add to my playlist. Thank you so much for sharing your playlist.
    Some songs that I have added to my exercise listening list:
    Shine – Newboys
    Something Beautiful – Newsboys
    Tunnel – Third day
    Black Horse and a Cherry Tree – KT Turnstall
    Flood – Jars of Clay
    Forgiven – Relient K

28. I love third day as well. I have all their stuff and it’s very upbeat. In addition, I like the tempo of the following ones. Hope you like them.
    Train: She’s on Fire (drops of jupiter album) Free (Train, self titled) and Get Out (for me, it’s you album)
    Del Amitri: Roll to Me (self titled)
    Sister Hazel:Change your mind (Fortress)

29. Damon Crawley says:

OK. “See the Glory” and “Dive” from Steven Curtis Chapman are great upbeat songs. So is “So Long Self” and “No More No Less” from MercyMe and “Dead Man” from Jars of Clay. A great remake is Rascal Flats “Life is a highway”. Audio Adrenaline is also awesome (too bad they disbanded).
    Some great cool down songs are “Ordinary Miracle” from Sarah McLachlan (Charlotte’s Web soundtrack), Amanzing Grace (my chains are gone) from Chris Tomlin, “Dream Big” by Ryan Shupe & the RubberBand. Audio Adrenaline has a song called “Ocean Floor” that is cool and Brandon Heath “I’m not who I was”

30. Your list made me laugh, Stacy – I’ve loved “Hip to be square” since I used to dance around the living room to it in elementary school. :)

31. Fast:
    (I second “See the World” by Gomez – great song!)
    “Better Than” John Butler Trio
    “Nobody” Ryan Shaw
    “I don’t feel like Dancin” Scissor Sisters
    “Runnin Down a Dream” Tom Petty
    “This is Us” Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris
    “Better Now” Collective Soul
    Cool Down:
    “Put Your Records On” Corinne Bailey Rae
    “Travelin Thru” Dolly Parton
    “Heavenly Day” Patty Griffin
    Happy running!!
    Robyn :)

32. WOW, can’t say a word because most of these have done a rotation on my ipod at some time LOL

33. Thanks for sharing the songs – they sure brought back some memories for me. I dont have a run list – i normally just listen to whats playing int he gym but now i might just need to go and get myself one.

34. Never apologize for the music you enjoy! I loved your list and agree with most of those choices. There are so many kinds of music out there, that I think it’s healthy to listen to a bit of all of it. Gives you a ‘well rounded’ life! Enjoy!
    Sue

35. Great list! I think the sign of a person with “cool” music taste is someone who knows the classics. I am 27, and would like to think I have good taste in music, and half of your songs are on my workout playlist too.

36. Gay Ann T. says:

I love to listen to “Friend of God” and “You are Good”. They are my “HAPPY” songs. You can’t help but be happy when you hear them.

37. I love your list! thank you for sharing! I am not “cool” when it comes to music either, but I know what makes me happy and those are the songs I listen to.
    let’s hear it for happy music!

38. My favorite walking song is “Harvest for the World” by The Isley Brothers. You will love it.

39. Shannon says:

Love all of these songs – but I am more old school also – not really hip when it comes to music.

40. Jennifer S. says:

Laughing Out Loud!
    Your comments are so me! I love music but am a complete music dork. I never know the name of the songs or singers I like! Maybe I need to buy and ipod and play around so I can be as cool as you! Thanks for sharing!

41. Oh my gosh, this is so great! Not only the list (I need that!), but the fact that I’m not the only music dork on the planet. I was just thinking the other day that if a song was released before 2001 (the year I had my first baby) I probably don’t know it unless it’s on one of my (very few) more recent Christian CDs. I’m really hopeless when it comes to music! Thanks for sharing your list!!

42. Audrey C. says:

2 more that I love to exercise to:
    Waiting On the World To Change– John Mayer
    Jesse’s Girl— Rick Springfield
    Great list that you have! I love an eclectic mix of music too (doesn’t that just make it sound more sophisticated!).

43. My new favorite song is Make A Memory by Bon Jovi.
    I am not a person to know much about music, but I have heard this song twice and instantly fell in love with it. The Cd won’t be released until June 19th so I don’t know if it is available on itunes yet.

44. Thanks for sharing your playlist. I love music & am always looking to add to my list. Here are a few of my favorites:
    Remember – Alan jackson
    My Wish – Rascal Flatts
    Say It Isn’t So – The Outfield
    Anyway – Martina McBride
    How Deep is Your Love? – Portrait
    Thanks again!
    Raimi

45. Thanks for sharing your playlist. I love music & am always looking to add to my list. Here are a few of my favorites:
    Remember – Alan jackson
    My Wish – Rascal Flatts
    Say It Isn’t So – The Outfield
    Anyway – Martina McBride
    How Deep is Your Love? – Portrait
    Thanks again!
    Raimi

46. Kristal says:

Rick Springfield and Pat Benatar are 2 of my faves. I LOVE your list!

47. Please, not Divo! LOL

48. “Graceland” by Paul Simon has been on my workout playlist from cassette tape to CD and now on my I-pod. I don’t think I could work-out without it!

49. Ah the memories these song titles are giving me. Plus I had to check some of them out.
    I love that you have Chris Cagle on there. I love him!
    Here is my contributions to widen your horizons :o)
    Hit me Up Gia Farrell- Happy Feet Soundtrack
    I believe- Yolanda Adams
    Switch-Wil Smith
    Headstrong-Trapt
    Family Affair-Mary J Blige
    Getcha Your Head in the Game-High School Musical
    And thanks to those that put their’s on here. Can’t wait to ck them all out.
    When you have a minute (ha ha I know) share your new music choices.

50. Ok, I got so excited about the fact that you were answering my email that I forgot to share my favorites. I own just about everyone of this ladies CD’s ( as a matter of fact if you ever go to my blog you will hear her singing ). So with the exception of a few ….every song she sings is on my mp3 player. Her name is CeCe Winan and her praise music is wonderful.

51. cindy b. says:

Hi Stacy!! It’s me, Cindy. :-) For some reason my comments never posted!?! I wanted to thank you again for posting these. Looks like a lot of people are enjoying them!! And now I can say: Mission ACCOMPLISHED!! WOOHOO!! Thanks so much Stacy!

52. Wow…. what a perfect time to stumble on your blog and this fabulous list! I was just on 2peas the other day looking for song recommendations for my ‘music to motivate’ playlist… thanks for all the fab ideas!

53. OK … this is STRANGE!!!!! I just outted myself as a music dork in Cathy’s comment section. I didn’t call myself that, but now that you’ve given it a name for me that’s EXACTLY what I feel like. I little lost in the overwhelming vastness that is the world of music. What a great idea to purposely get you going in a different musical direction. LOVE IT!!!!! :-)

54. Rebecca Foxworth says:

SO glad I’m not the only one with a weird mix of music on the iPod! Between that and my old mp3 player I’ve mixed nirvana with aretha franklin, green day with phil collins, and third day with van halen. Gotta mix it up sometimes!

55. Suzie Wagner says:

You have a lot of great songs! Here are a few of my latest favs:
    She’s everything – Brad Paisley