I’m going to be really honest with you.
I don’t particularly like scrapbooking contests, especially skill-based contests. I understand why we do them, I understand (for the most part) the excitement surrounding them and I am always very happy for the winners, but … I still don’t dig skill-based contests. I suppose the real reason is that I think there is so much more to scrapbooking than skill and perhaps even more important, I feel completely inadequate judging another person’s scrapbooking. Sure, I can pick out pages that are well designed, photos that are stellar and journaling that is well written. I’ve studied color for years, so I can talk all day about a layout that has used color well, but when it comes right down to it, scrapbooking is a subjective thing–its personal expression. When pursued authentically scrapbooking should reflect aspects of our lives that don’t need to be judged. Our photos and stories need to be shared and appreciated and used to connect us, not set us a part– my new favorite word and something that our industry needs very much right now is inclusivity (not even sure that’s a word and much more on that to come) …
With that said, have you seen this:
This is the kind of contest that I like. This is the kind of contest that we do at Simple Scrapbooks. This is about being a fun person and it’s about being willing to share your "funness" with the world. The prizes are still great and there’s even the promise of recognition in the magazine–but what’s so cool is the fact that anyone can choose to be more playful in their scrapbooking and that is what we want to see and celebrate.
Here’s what you have to do:
1. Tell us a joke.
2. Tell us in 100 words why you should be crowned Funnest Scrapbooker Ever (for 2007).
3. Send a picture of yourself in costume.
4. Send a picture of your funniest layout ever.
5. Complete three prompts from our Scrapbook Play special issue, and send us pictures of your layouts. (Not sure which prompts to pick? Visit our Let’s Play Contest to see three that we like.)
Here’s what you could win:
1. A tiara and a sash
2. A year’s supply of bubbles
3. A barrel of monkeys
4. A $500 shopping spree at addictedtoscrapbooking.com
5. Your photo and layout published in Simple Scrapbooks magazine We can’t wait to meet the funnest scrapbookers on the planet. So hurry! All entries must be received by November 30, 2007. No purchase necessary. Click here for full rules.
ok, so it’s November 1st — you have 29 days.
get busy and show us just how FUN you really are.