wow.

Feat_624x351_welcome

President Obama has a blog – well, at least his administration does. That's cool. Perhaps you already know this, but in the midst of the inaugural festivities yesterday, Whitehouse.gov got a new look and feel.
I like it.  In fact, I'm going on the record as someone who is sincerely hopeful that change can happen if we all do our part.

Priorities for this new media campaign, are as follows …

Communication — Americans are eager for information
about the state of the economy, national security and a host of other
issues. This site will feature timely and in-depth content meant to
keep everyone up-to-date and educated. Check out the briefing room, keep tabs on the blog (RSS feed) and take a moment to sign up for e-mail updates from the President and his administration so you can be sure to know about major announcements and decisions.

Transparency – President Obama has committed to
making his administration the most open and transparent in history, and
WhiteHouse.gov will play a major role in delivering on that promise.
The President's executive orders and proclamations will be published
for everyone to review, and that’s just the beginning of our efforts to
provide a window for all Americans into the business of the government.
You can also learn about some of the senior leadership in the new
administration and about the President’s policy priorities.

Participation —
President Obama started his
career as a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago, where he
saw firsthand what people can do when they come together for a common
cause. Citizen participation will be a priority for the Administration,
and the internet will play an important role in that. One significant
addition to WhiteHouse.gov reflects a campaign promise from the
President: we will publish all non-emergency legislation to the website
for five days, and allow the public to review and comment before the
President signs it.

good stuff.

Million-man-march

and btw … Elizabeth was there–towards the front even! She told me this morning that she has never felt so much humanity before. There were so many people!! She took some pictures and promised to blog about the experience soon.

I'll leave you with this quote from the President's proclaimation about renewal and reconciliation …

On this Inauguration Day, we are reminded that we are heirs to over two
centuries of American democracy, and that this legacy is not simply a
birthright — it is a glorious burden. Now it falls to us to come
together as a people to carry it forward once more.

My political views have not changed, but I'm willing to help carry the burden. Hope you are too.

Comments

1. I know that you don’t agree with a lot of President Obama’s views, but I continue to be impressed with your respectfulness and openness to seeing where we can go together. I hope that the next four years bring good things to us ALL.

2. Becky in VA says:

Isn’t the new web page awesome?! I was just on it today too. And I live in Rosslyn which is a neighborhood in Arlington, VA (just 1 mile from Georgetown and 2-3 miles from the mall where all the action was this long weekend) so I was able to be a part of the celebration. It was AWESOME and so INSPIRING!! I am so grateful that I was able to be there. I haven’t posted my picks yet but I can’t wait to scrap the whole weekend!! When I was talking to my mom about it she told me that she had made a scrapbook about when JFK was shot and about his presidency before that. I was too young to remember looking at it in elementary school and then it wasn’t brought out of its safe keeping after that. Unfortunately its safe keeping wasn’t safe enough and my mom recently found it destroyed and lost to water damage. It was still neat to hear that she had been so moved in the past to scrapbook in the past too. I have to point out that she was big on stressing that she scrapped from scratch. She told me two or three times that everything in her book was hand made. I wish it wasn’t lost! It still felt like a neat connection between her and I on the phone though and it is a conversation I’ll remember for the rest of my life, along with the weekend.

3. No matter what your political leanings, this is a GREAT time to be an American – full of promise and possibility, along with great responsibilty for each of us.

4. I, too, would have rather seen a woman live at Number One Observatory Circle (the VP’s residence), but either way America has made history, and we should be proud.

5. Amazing. My son was there, too, with a school group. He’s 18 and was able to vote for the first time…and though his candidate didn’t win, he was only too excited and willing to go.

6. Kris Van Allen says:

And did you hear: on the Today show, Matt said that there were NO arrests. None.
    Awesome.

7. Kimberly in VA says:

I was there as well and it was incredible – we were fortunate to have seats very close to the Capitol. What a glorious day it was for people of all races, creeds and colors.
    I attended the Home States Ball last night and Jack Johnson was the entertainment.
    Stacy – he opened his performance with Hope. I was thinking about you and singing along. He is an incredible performer in person and to hear the words to Hope live was amazing. I was thinking about you and wishing I had your number so I could have called and held my cell in the air – like a kid at a rock concert!

8. Stacy,
    After two days of feeling like crawling under a rock and hiding from all the “hope and change,” your blog post today feels like a safe haven. Thank you for reminding me that we can always find the good in a situation like this, even if we don’t agree with the outcome.
    God bless America, and may he bless our new President and his administration.

9. Thank you for posting this. A great message that no matter your views, we can still work together for the common good of America.

10. Jennifer Larson says:

As a teacher of the English language, I LOVED his speech in so many ways. Thanks you for your wonderful words too. : – )

11. I agree with you – he wasn’t my choice for President, but I am praying that he is so fantastic that I am ready to vote him in for a second term! Did you see the embraces between the Bushes and Obamas? I thought that spoke volumes about our country and these two men.

12. I am totally with you on this! I will be the first to say that he was not my first choice, but I feel that he is right that we all need to pitch in to get through this. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and be hopeful — and I am hopeful that all Americans will do the same.

13. I wish the crowd would have shown more respect for President Bush. It was sad to have a day billed as a day of hope and change marred by such rudeness and hatefulness.

14. Thanks, Stacy, for your willingness to stand behind President Obama. I wish more of my friends (and people in general) who did not vote for him could be as respectful as you. I believe our country is going to heal…and it starts with people like you, encouraging others to support him. Afterall, it’s still OUR country – not just those of us who voted for President Obama. God bless you :-)

15. As a Canadian it was very interesting to watch both the election last November and inauguration yesterday. I enjoy seeing the divergent responses as well. I hope that Obama makes changes as promised and that those changes continue to benefit Canada’s good neighbour relationship with the US. Good luck to him and to all of you!

16. Stacy, I’m excited about the same things you are. I even filled out the little form and put in my wish to discuss an issue that is dear to my heart. I’m an optimistic person by nature, but I’m enjoying having the entire country be optimistic and hopeful right now.

17. Nancy C. from Wilmington, NC says:

I helped in the Obama campaign and I promise if you sign up for mail, you WILL get mail. Volunteers received mail virtually every day, and sometimes several times a day with updates from the campaign or requests for certain things to work on. Even though you know it is totally automated, there is something very cool about looking at your in box and seeing mail addressed to you and signed From Barack! All of the volunteers received a thank you letter on election night before he had even gone out to make his acceptance speech. This habit has continued during the transition. They have asked us to vote on which issues should be tackled first and even posted videos of staff meetings on certain issues. You can’t help but get hooked. I think the feelings of involvement and volunteerism are wonderful.

18. We’ll see . . .

19. Uh, movie tickets? Who won the tickets? I need a funny chick flick about now!!

20. I love the feelings of hope and responsibility and participation by everyone that the Obamas are bringing with them. I love that on election night he addressed those people did not vote for him. He has a message of inclusion (like someone else I know). Also, did you see his letter to his girls in Parade magazine!

21. Thanks for sharing this information. I commend you for showing such support for the new president and am glad that you are sharing that support with us. As Americans we have all been divided for far too long. What we have in common is so much greater than our differences! Besides, it feels good to have hope replace fear doesn’t it?

22. My 3 year-old daughter watched the inauguration with me the other day. When they showed the “sea of people waving flags” she said “Oh my gosh, Mom, I love that!” It made my heart smile :) Such an amazing day.

23. thanks for the info on the presidental blog!
    {vicki}

24. I’m so encouraged to see people wanting to work together, regardless of their political affiliations.

25. Leora Henkin says:

Just wanted to add my Thanks for sharing this. I went and signed up for updates, too. I probably wouldn’t have done that without you. So, again, Thanks.

26. President Obama was not my choice nor was the Democrat party my choice. However, I watched the inauguration, as I have watched every inauguration in my lifetime – with awe and pride that we live in such a great country, not because we have elected a black man as President, but because we have a President chosen by the people and a peaceful change of power every four to eight years. And I will pray for the Presdent and his new administration, that God will guide them and give them wisdom and keep them safe.

27. I am glad to hear that another mother/scrapbooker is who isn’t an Obama supporter is trying to get behind our new President. Regardless who we vote for it is our responsibility as parents to show by example that we should respect the President (as all authority figures) even if it wasn’t the candidate you chose. I still have my worries but I am trying, as an American, to be open-minded and hopeful. I do think it’s exciting how the country seems to be so positive and united. I do however feel the same as the poster a few above, I think it is shameful that President Bush was booed. He was our President and should be shown some respect, they got who they wanted as President but are setting a poor example to the children of America. I hope things change for the better…and it is cool that our new President is from Illinois!

28. Kathy in Minnesota says:

My work actually put the inauguration up on a giant screen projector and let us all watch it live. We clapped, we cheered. It was AWESOME. There were just so many people on the mall. I have hope. I am so excited about our great country moving forward and making great strides, and I will do my part, for sure.

29. I am not an Obama fan…and I was reminded by my college age daughter today, of the days when the Congress was debating the patriot act, and then Senator Clinton proclaimed, “The new patriatism is decent!” That is how I feel today. That while I am willing to help carry the burden, I am not willing to blindly follow, those of us who decent also have a role to play, and in many ways it is as or more important than those willing to blindly follow.