no shoes on April 16th (revised: photos added!)

328-1001B09-PKBDT-H

How do you like my new shoes?

So, I've been wanting to blog about TOMS Shoes for a while now. Lauren (our nanny) introduced me to them. I LOVE companies with a story and TOMS has got a great story. For each pair of shoes you purchase, a pair of shoes is provided to a child in a need.

So here's the deal, lets go barefoot tomorrow. I'm not wearing shoes wherever I go. Clark's not wearing shoes to school. If you visit TOMS website you can print flyers to give to someone when they ask you, "Where are your shoes?"

Lauren has applied for an internship with TOMS. She has met the initial application requirements and has now been asked her to create awareness for this campaign. That .. is something we can help her with, right? If you choose to purchase a pair of TOMS, please use the following promo code so that Lauren gets credit:

odwsfsA67GSK0MW

(hint: since this thing is 15 characters long, I would copy & paste) And just so you know, the promo does not save you any money, it just gives Lauren credit for the purchase.

One Day Without Shoes April 16 2009

You can also grab a banner for your blog on the TOMS site. Here's the story …

Our Story

In 2006 an American traveler, Blake Mycoskie, befriended children in Argentina and found they had no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, he created a company that would match every pair of shoes sold with a pair given to a child in need. One for One. Blake returned to Argentina with a group of family, friends and staff later that year with 10,000 pairs of shoes made possible by caring TOMS customers.

Since our beginning, TOMS has given over 140,000* pairs of shoes to children in need through the One for One model. Because of your support, TOMS plans to give over 300,000 pairs of shoes to children in need around the world in 2009.

Our ongoing community events and Shoe Drop Tours allow TOMS supporters and enthusiasts to be part of our One for One movement. Join us.

Revised Post: It's April 16th and we're going barefoot (except I am wearing running shoes when I run!) I snapped these cute photos this morning …

IMG_7404

Clark at 6:30 am

IMG_7405

Addie, Lauren and Trey headed for the bus stop. Taft wasn't so sure. I told him he could have his own "shoe-less" day on Saturday and I would still buy him a pair of TOMS.

So far it looks like a nice day. Still cold on the feet, but nice … Have fun.

Comments

1. This is a fantastic idea! I will totally do it. Though, since I run an in-home daycare/preschool, most will not find it odd that I’m barefoot. So, I’ll have to go an extra step and bring this up! Thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca
    RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com

2. love this, Stacy. :)

3. TOMS is an amazing company. I’ve been working with them on their facebook outreach this month and they really have a great cause.
    In case you want more facts & a cool video of a shoe drop, here’s my blog post about them last week: http://www.thislifeblog.com/2009/04/toms-shoes-compassionate-capitalism-at-work.html
    I’ve also included some links to interviews Blake’s done with online sites like Treehugger (another of my favorites.)

4. Julie Johnson says:

You find the coolest companies! Thanks so much for sharing this…I’m in, and I think my kids are too. Great looking adorable fun and happy shoes!

5. Those are cute shoes…I have been seeing his ads on TV here in the Seatte area lately. Very wonderful company and what a great opportunity for Lauren!
    Thanks for sharing this cause!

6. Guess you won’t be visiting any “no shoes, no shirt, no service” places tomorrow, lol!
    Thanks for the info – off to check it out.

7. Teresa Cotterman says:

Would love to, but working in an ER without shoes, well it’s just downright icky ;)

8. Bought a pair. Been meaning to for over a year so finally went for it. Good shoes for spring.

9. kris arnold says:

I live in Alaska and we still have 3 feet of snow on the ground so I’ll have to just do it in spirit with you. I did just see a commercial about the company yesterday. Strange how you mentioned right after I remember thinking how wonderful this is for someone to do. I love the pictures of the children in the commercial. I will definately look at their shoes. Great idea.

10. April Gould says:

I love the idea, If i wouldnt get fired for going without shoes I’d be all over that. How very nice of you to help your nanny get an internship when you’ve just found her.

11. Kary in Colorado says:

Great idea–but I can tell that Tom’s is located in California–we’re going to have SNOW today here in the Rockies! Maybe they should wait a month or so next year so we can play too! My 25yo son in SLC loves Tom’s shoes–he was the one who pointed me first to their amazing website. Cool shoes!

12. Love the shoes … Love the concept. My neice and I will both be sporting some this Spring.
    Thanks for sharing.

13. Like I needed a reason to buy shoes. I went with the Floral Batik Chili and credited Lauren.

14. Just bought some for myself and my mom for Mother’s Day. Between TOMS and Little Miss Matched you’ve changed my feet forever (not just my feet but you get it)

15. cgetz1177 says:

im all for it! thanks lauren

16. Janet Ang says:

Stacy,
    Just bought a pair of TOM’s shoes but I just can’t seem to get myself to go barefoot for a day outdoors!
    Thanks for the idea,
    Janet Ang from NorCal

17. Lauren has nice looking legs! Hope she gets the internship…she could be a shoe model!

18. Too bad the hospital is a bad place for no shoes!!! But now that I am off work–my shoes are off for sure!! We are even having a beautiful day in Seattle to enjoy it!!

19. WHATEVER!!! I JUST bought this SAME EXACT pair of shoes YESTERDAY!!! Ha ha, we were on the same brain wave or something. :)

20. great minds think alike. my daughter just showed this exact pair to me. Will be purchasing these. thanks, CindyML

21. erin white says:

isn’t TOMS doing a commerical with AT&T now about this very subject and of course AT&T bars. i’m almost sure of it. if not it is another co. that gives a pair away for each pair bought. way to go. we need more giving in out lives :)

22. love the toes. Did you send those pic’s to TOMS. Thank you for the link, what an inspiring story, business and life.

23. Kim Jones says:

I used the code to order a pair of shoes – been meaning to order for awhile and this just prompted me to go ahead and do it!

24. Our friend and babysitter is a TOMS intern right now and she LOVES it! And I was going to order your shoes too! I found you on Jodie Allen’s blog – she’s awesome. have a great day!

25. I bought ones like yours but in blue. How cute are those? Thanks for the link.

26. Well, I’m Barefoot everyday. Does that count?!
    ~Laura Barefoot