Life is hard.

Don't you think?
I do.
Life is an amazing gift and an opportunity that I'm convinced we don't fully understand. There are often things that transpire that we simply can't anticipate or be prepared for. These are the things that prepare us (if we let them) to move forward and become what we have the potential to become. When challenging  things happen that you can't understand, I believe you can fall back on faith — faith in yourself, faith in friendship, faith in forgiveness and faith in God. I think above all the experiences anyone can have on this earth, the greatest is that of building relationships that will stand the "test" of life and time.

I have spent the better part of two days caught up in emotion that I can feel in a very literal way. I hurt. I have reflected and prayed and cried and reflected and prayed some more. On my jog this morning I had this very specific thought, which I believe is inspired:

What was said or done isn't important. Whether or not these things were said and done intentionally is not important. What's important is the perception that has developed. Perception on the part of someone you care about is the reality you must begin to face if healing is to take place.

I know this is all very vague, but I wanted to share this idea with you because I believe it is absolutely true. Because this thought came to me with such force, I will now spend today finding a greater degree of compassion and compassion always brings clarity.

I will be more careful and more conscious. I will do more listening than speaking and …

Hardgood
I will remember that while life is hard, it is also very, very good.

Comments

1. Thinking of you and hoping you will find peace in your heart.

2. I agree that life is hard & very good in the same space. Hoping you find peace through this time of reflection.

3. I like what CS Lewis’s character says in the movie Shadowlands. Something like, “the pain from yesterday is a part of my happiness today.” Growth definitely takes place in the hard times.

4. I think there is a lot of truth in what you’ve said. When we get in a situation where someone feels that we have wronged them, our tendency is to replay everything we’ve done to see if we are to blame. But what if we don’t find any blame in ourselves? Does it make the other person hurt any less? Their perception is still perception.
    I’ve learned a lot about this this year. My son has been dealing with a lot of social and adjustment issues in school. He would tell me things that had upset him during his day. The mama bear in me wanted to go fix them all. But then I worried that he was blowing things out of proportion and the wrong he perceived probably didn’t even happen like he perceived it. But it was so hard to judge that. A very wise person reminded me that those feelings and perceptions are his feelings and perceptions and to him they are real and therefore are valid. I didn’t have to judge everything before comforting him or helping him deal with things. He perceived a wrong and was hurt by that. Period.
    Thanks for sharing! It has been helpful for me to think this through…and a good reminder…

5. CarrieH says:

great quote for so many of the trials we face in life. I had a tough situation recently with a relative & after some tears, frustration and lots of letting go, I am okay with it. I will keep this quote for times that get me down, though. Thanks and peace be with you

6. Whatever is going on–I hope that you will feel the Lord’s comforting embrace.

7. I am so sorry to hear that you’ve been hurting Stacy! I,too, have had the reminder this year that life can be hard and that things will transpire that we can’t possibly anticipate or prepare for. This winter,I had a very good friend with three children still at home, suddenly and without warning, pass away. Her passing was gut wrenching for me and, like you, caused me to feel emotion all over my body and soul. I am now, like you, working on moving forward more consciously and more aware of the good in life…because with the pain, there is also much goodness to celebrate. hugs-

8. Praying God will give you peace in this situation and you will soon get your joy and verve back.

9. Amy DeMordaunt says:

Life IS hard. We have so much to learn, and it can be so humbling. I always want to be right and can be so bossy. But really I want to be nice and loving. Sounds conflicted? Yep. Learn and grow, for sure. And life IS good :). I’m glad you shared this…it makes a huge difference to hear your thoughts.

10. I just had to say…you are such an inspiring person even when you are hurting. I hope the hurt goes away very soon. And you are so right life is hard but it makes you grow, learn and appreciate. I have found in my moments of hurt or grief or whatever that I am amazed about how strong I really am. And I am certain you are as well.

11. Thank you for passing on those thoughts. It hit home for me…been struggling with the “he did, he didn’t do” then switched to the ‘intent’ behind everything and finally JUST got to his PERCEPTION of what has been going on…….light bulb moment! It was like the fog had lifted and suddenly I could see the pain/problems/etc. and could now DEAL with it! It made all the difference and things have improved and gotten MUCH better quickly! I will keep the quote close by! Hope things go well for you too!

12. Bless you. Life can be hard you’re very right. After watching my four year old daughter battle cancer and listening to the stupid things people said, I’ve learned only I can change. only I can learn how to change my reaction and know that life can be GOOD too. Hugs to one of my favorite scrapbookers and inspirations!!

13. Stacy, you are an amazingly beautiful person and I hope you find the peace you are looking for. You are in my thoughts!

14. Leora Henkin says:

Thinking of you and sending love…Leora

15. The cactus photo you chose is such vivid imagery for pushing past the pain. One of my favorite promises from God is that He will bring beauty from ashes, and this photo is such a beautiful twist on that same promise. Bless you, sweetie, as you cling to the Lord and wait for His comfort. You are not alone in these struggles.

16. So sorry that you’ve been experiencing such pain. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

17. Scrappy Angel says:

Sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time Stacy. I hope the situation gets resolved quickly. I also just wanted to say thank you. Even in your difficult times, you provide amazing thoughts and inspiration to those around you. {{{HUGS}}}

18. Thanks sharing all parts of your life – we all have great times – but we also have those not so great ones too- praying for you and otheres in the situation that you might feel His peace and guidnace – J

19. Peace and blessings to you today!
    A Scrapbooking event in Spokane! Have so much fun!!!

20. K. Tate says:

Thank you Stacy.

21. TracyBzz says:

I hope things get better for you soon Stacyu. The cactus photo is a great symbol of your message.

22. Stacy, thank you so much for sharing. I too am going through something similar. It is sometimes hard to understand why these things happen. And it then harder to see what all this is suppose to teach you about yourself. Then you have moments of clarity and instead of swimming against the current, you must relax into the current…into the mystery of life as it happens (I read that somewhere).
    Sometimes it is about letting go of something and you are not ready to.
    Take a deep breath and continue to find comfort in our Creator.
    Many blessings,
    Fcas

23. Your wrong. What is said does matter, it is after all the words we speak that create the perceptions those in our lives have of us. What is silly is to believe you can take a single event and believe that though your motive was an innocent one, the fact that your words weren’t taken correctly created a false impression. All the comments, actions, words that led up to that moment helped to create the impression that was given. The reality you have to deal with is both the words and the actions that went before it to lay the ground work for the impression that was given.

24. I very seldom SELDOM go back and catch up on older posts on my favorite blogs…I guess its like a ‘keeping the past in the past’ mantra I have…but for some reason this morning I did.
    I’m so glad I went into the past to read this.