Unplugged in JUNE.

I realize that sounds a little drastic. Don't worry, I'm not going away.

Today is June 1st however and I promised to write a bit about my experience unplugging from technology last month. I chose to unplug, on my birthday. It was my gift to myself. I have to be honest. I REALLY liked it. I liked walking away from my cell phone and my computer. The hardest part by far was not being able to call my mom or my sister as I was driving around–I couldn't listen to any of my podcasts either. Initially after getting into my van (each time I got into my van) I felt a little bothered or antsy. Within a minute or two however, I was deep in thought, mulling over topics I've been reading about or projects I was working on. When I arrived at each destination I felt more relaxed and prepared to "do the next thing."

I met my friend Kerry for facials and it was a bit of a bug that I couldn't call her when she was running late. She of course tried calling me too.
But guess what I was doing while I waited?
I was writing in my journal — would love to do this more often. Interestingly, we still got to the spa and everything worked out.

Not surprisingly, I didn't miss my email.
I did have a couple of urges to tweat on Twitter (wanted to share birthday details) but they too passed without much notice.

It got a little crazy later in the day when I missed a couple of calls from Clark (he was told, but I'm sure it didn't sink in) and I couldn't get a hold of Geoff, who had a groundbreaking ceremony with his medical practice for a new surgery center they are building. Here again, everything worked out and no one seemed particularly annoyed.

This experience, and the things I am learning in the book, The Power of Full Engagement have prompted me to be more intentional about my managing my energy and incorporating deliberate recovery into my routine …

"We live in a world that celebrates work and

activity, ignores renewal and recovery,

and fails to recognize that both are necessary

for sustained high performance."

I have decided that I will totally unplug every other Thursday. I already try and set aside Thursdays as my creative day–the day that I do my hands-on "work." But starting today, I'm going to completely unplug at least twice a month. If you want to read more about unplugging. Visit Jodie's blog.

IMG_8193

And in the spirit of unplugging, let me explain my post title, "Unplugged in June."

I am working on some pretty cool projects this month. Projects that will require both lots of time and focused energy. You might have noticed that I'm "renovating" the old blog — and that I've given it a new name. My blog update is part of one of my projects. In order to buy me the extra time and energy I need to meet my production deadlines, I will be simplifying my posts in June — in fact, I'll simply be posting GREAT quotes from one of my most favorite quote books.

This book was given to me by Richard Young. We lived in Lewiston, Idaho for one year (1999-2000) and while we were there, Geoff worked with Richard. I don't remember how I found out that Richard was, like me, a lover and collector of quotes — but I do remember the day he brought me a copy of the book he compiled for his children. I thought, "What a thoughtful gesture." I didn't know at the time, that Richard's collection would be so relevant and inspiring to me. This book has become one of my personal treasures and I am so grateful for it. I want to begin creating my own book of quotes — something I don't intend to finish for 20+ years, something that I too will give my children someday.

Anyway … If I am able, I will add a few posts here and there. In the meantime, enjoy the wise words that I'll share and maybe even take my challenge (if you haven't already) to start a collection of meaningful quotes that speak to you.

There are BIG things happening and I can't wait to "show and tell" you more!

WCSLogo RGB small
Be sure to visit the ALL NEW Inspiration Collective at Write. Click. Scrapbook. There will be a new challenge every month and the chance to join in the sharing.

Shimelle is also doing something very cool (and colorful) this month. You can check it out here.

Life is good.

Comments

1. I must say that I’m a bit bummed that you’ve changed the name of your blog…that story was just priceless! Hopefully you’ll leave it somewhere on here though. Every time I read it, it reminded me to be cheerful. Exciting changes, Stacy!

2. Oh my gosh Stacy! I can’t believe you did it perfectly! I totally failed, TWICE! BUT, like you, I am going to try again. At least once a month. I’m going to try to unplug my KIDS a little more each day but I still think one entire day would be incredible for my soul once a month.
    Anyway, thanks for taking the challenge and for giving us all such great ideas… you rock!

3. Ann Johnson says:

Stacy, I love your posts, they inspire me so much and I have learned so much from you. I have been so much more observant of things around me and your bubble picture makes me laugh. I other day, looking at my pack of gum I found this and tore it off to use some day in my scrapbook – it said “Try explaining the taste of bubble gum to someone who has never tasted it” (Extra bubble gum flavor).
    You are a true inspiration.
    Ann

4. I love the idea of having a creative day each week. One that is yours and you know it is coming up. I am going to think this through tonight and come up with “my day”. Thank you for sharing this idea as well as all your other great ideas!
    Dancingly Denise

5. Love the Quotation Book! It is sometihng I have been mulling around my head too. I was thinking of choosing 10 of my favorite quotes and explaining to my kids why I like them in a mini-album. I would definitely like to compile my own “book” like your friend did. I love your quote on the blog this month…I love coming across great quotes I haven’t read before too! Thanks!

6. Leora Henkin says:

Stacy, I LOVE your new banner (though, of course I miss the old one, too–life is like that). Best wishes for your unplugged (every other) Thursdays and for all your creative adventures ahead! Leora

7. TracyBzz says:

Summer is so short and easy to get almost unplugged. Winter we hibernate and tv, phone, computer is the only way to see people – LOL!
    I rarely use my cell phone…barely anyone knows the number. I can’t text. I watch less and less tv. Unfortunately I have replaced tv with the computer. But I have replaced it rather than added it in.
    Even being mainly unplugged would be great. No tv or computer or cell phone would be great for me.
    Love the new blog banner.
    LOVE the Write Click Scrapbook site. In your bio is the color book your reading be the one I sent you? (All About Color by Janice Lindsey). Hope you’re enjoying it.

8. TracyBzz says:

In the fall my girls will both be in school full time (well they get most Friday’s off, but will be gone 4 days a week). I am going to devote one day a week to bookwork (for our business, that I can do from home) and cleaning. One day to run into the city for groceries/Wal Mart/etc.
    Now you’ve inspired me to take one day a week for creativity. All day without the kids around or my bedtime looming near. Free to relax and let it flow. This sounds like heaven.

9. Love the new look of your blog Stacy. I’ve heard more and more people take the ‘unplugged’ approach and will be considering it several times in the next 3 months myself. I checked out the new Write.Click.Scrapbook site today. Awesome and I’m glad you are going to be a part of it.
    Sue

10. Michelle says:

Hi Stacy! I just love your blog… and your update is great! Thanks for always having great inspiring posts! Are you planning to do the “tickets for summer” this year with your kids? I “stole” your idea last year and my son really enjoyed it. Would love to know what your are planning this summer! Best wishes to you & your family! Michelle

11. Love the new look and the blog post….love that you unplugged…something I’ve been wanting to try, but haven’t jumped in, but you have inspired me!…going to unplug ,too!
    From a fellow quote lover!
    Amy in CA

12. Girlfriend–you NEVER cease to amaze me! You are such an inspiration! Good for you–glad you have (and will continue) to unplug!

13. Several weeks ago I started “unplugging” upon getting home from work. I sit at a desk all day and down time leaves me enuff time to tweet, FB and catch up on fave blogs. There is nothing so important on my laptop or iPhone that can’t wait till tomorrow. Have begun reading books again (thought still listening to audio books on iPhone during walk commute to/from work). Feels great :)

14. I did a double take when you said that Richard Young gave you that quote book. My dad is Richard Young, ok, not THAT Richard Young, but it did have me thinking if he ever lived in Idaho or if he ever gave me a quote book.

15. sounds like you had a great month and gained that kind of new focus that is filled with energy and keeps everything exciting! how fabulous that can be!! long may it continue. :)
    and superthanks for the shout out!! :)
    have a beautiful june!

16. I’m proud to say that I went unplugged for 3 weeks & you won’t believe how much I got done and when I got on-line after that unplugged time, I went to my usually sites and I got everything done that I would of done in 3 weeks in an hour and 1/2. So now that is my plan, if I can’t do it a second time, I’ll try one on one off. Of course, my job is NOT job related, so it is easier.
    Good luck to all those who try (starting to sound like caffiene withdrawls don’t it? lol.) and good luck with the new site.

17. Scrapycandy says:

These latest posts of yours are all terrific. How about a quote for a graduating senior?

18. Michele in La says:

Glad to hear I’m not the only one that is not ‘totally’ plugged in. My cell phone is for ME to call people when I need to and for my husband/children to reach me in emergencies. I rarely give the # out and if I don’t know the number when it rings, I just don’t answer it! I don’t have an mp3, iphone, or have a phone that takes pictures; don’t text or twitter… And no, I’m not 102 years old!! ;) Being out-of-touch is a good thing – I can think and concentrate. Often, I don’t even turn on the radio when I’m driving – it’s amazing the thinking or talking to my kids that happens when there is no outside noise. Especially when I pick up my son (who just finished his 1st year of high school) up from school and we have 10 minutes alone in the car before we pick up my younger daughter and my neices. Or I’ll wash dishes and the kids rinse – we have great conversations!!
    Unplug from the rest of the world and plug into your family!!!!!