Today …

Today … Clark and Chase started "zero hour" classes. These are classes that are before 1st period. This means they get up at 5:30am and leave the house at 6:30am. This means that Addie hears the noise and wakes up too. What this really means is that my quiet time is jeopardy and I NEED my quiet time.

Today … I am dealing with crushing anxiety over EVERYTHING I need to do in the next four days. I using all my proven strategies for fighting anxiety. These include prayer, fresh air, deep breathing, list-making and timed sessions of clean up, email and blog-posting — so yes, I'm on the clock!

Today … I refreshed the boys' clipboards, so they can more independently prepare themselves for school in the mornings. This will be a good thing!

Today … Addie started pre-school and carried her purse with her lip gloss and her hand sanitizer and her extra pair of big-girl panties. WOW.

Today … I'm getting my hair cut and colored (yay — this is LONG overdue.) I get to go sit in Karen's chair and talk and listen and I am just really looking forward to this.

Email-message-781232

Today … I received the following email, which I consider a tender mercy. I kid you not, every single time I get overwhelmed and wonder why on earth I try to do all that I try to do, I get a sign that what I do matters. I am so blessed to work in this industry and be able to do it from home and online and all across the world and I am even more blessed to hear from grateful women that take time out of their busy-ness to write and express their thanks.

Dearest Stacy,

I cannot tell you how happy I am to have found you!

It may be that I live in a bubble – or maybe I just live like a bubble … floating around from one demand in my life to the next – but either way I truly did not know what happened to Simple Scrapbooks or to you, your style and your inspiration. I have had melancholy thoughts from time to time as I wondered where you went or why Creating Keepsakes would have discontinued Simple Scrapbooks. Now I think I understand a bit of the reason and I am pleased as punch!

You see, I started scrapbooking many years ago and was even one of the charter subscribers to the Creating Keepsakes magazine when it was first launched. The magazine was very exciting to me … but not nearly as exciting as when your magazine came along. Your style is my style – I relate to how you capture life. I think I have purchased every special edition or book that you wrote or contributed to and always found new inspiration each time I read through them.

So you can imagine my sadness in thinking about a scrapbook world without your creativity and inspiration. Tonight as I considered ordering a magazine subscription from one of my son’s school fundraisers, I started looking at the offerings and went online to explore the magazines. Again, I was disappointed to see styles that were no where close to how I see my memories or yearn to capture my life. So, I thought to myself, where did Stacy go??? I went to my search engine and typed you in … and ~ lo, what to my wondering eyes should appear ~ but Stacy Julian and the Big Picture here!!

I have browsed the website and signed up for several classes. I absolutely cannot wait to get started with this new online world and I have you to thank for it! I have even been a bit emotional about this discovery and I’m sure my family thinks I’ve lost it! But, actually it is quite the opposite because the reality is that I found it!! (or “you” to be specific). My birthday is today so I will consider this a birthday gift and this email I hope will serve as a thank you for the gift you unknowingly gave to me.

Thank you for all you do, Stacy. You make a difference in many people’s lives. I have several scrapbooking buddies that will be just as thrilled as I am to hear of this discovery. You now have a new online follower!!

In gratitude and sheer memory capturing excitement,

Darcy

Can you believe this? This is the very cool world we live in — a world that allows us to find people and connect and share and support. I just think this is so uber amazingly cool.

Today … I'm sending Darcy a birthday present of some REALLY FUN and brand NEW American Crafts scrapbooking products.

IMG_0125

Happy Birthday Darcy!

Comments

1. what a sweet post! it even made me emotional, as I feel the same way about what you do, Stacy, and I am just as excited about it today as I was when I registered at BPS on that first wee you “opened your doors”. The goodness you spread around the world though your blog, BPS and whatnot is quite a blessing! xoxoxoxox

2. carol in seattle :) says:

That’s SERIOUSLY awesome! YAY Darcy and YAY Stacy! (YAY for Addie and Chase and Clark too!) Stacy, you never fail to impress me. I’m sure you’ll figure out how to get your quiet time. HUGS!

3. That is awesome Stacy! I too love you work and am grateful for BPS! I have taken some classes and have some still in my inbox to do! Thanks for all you do!!

4. What a way to make her day and yours!! :)

5. Stacy, You are too Awesome!! How sweet of you to take time out of your very filled life to remember Darcy!
    I know what you mean about the imbalance of having your ‘quiet time’ changed. I’ve had mine taken a bit the last few weeks..and have also recently had to change schedules and just havent been able to get up and out like I should..happy to say that your boys are inspiration! and I hope to remember that tomorrow morning!
    What a big step for Addie to go off to preschool..how fun..can just imagine her with her purse!
    Also..Happy Birthday Darcy!!

6. So nice of Darcy to make your day…and for you to make hers! I feel the same way…the world without Simple just isn’t the same. So happy to have BPS (& the new Ella, too!)!

7. I’m in tears. What a nice answer to prayer you received. You and Darcy have made the world a brighter place today. Thank you so much for sharing this with us in your busy day. I’ve just gotten into scrapbooking in the last couple years, and I see that I’ve missed out on a lot of fun, and meeting a lot of wonderful people. Blessings

8. What a great post! I too have 2 sons who take “zero” period only ours starts at 6:30am so they’re up (and me) at 5:20am!! ugh!! Luckily after some time (this is our 3rd year of zero period) my 8 year old daughter has learned to sleep through us moving around (and I hope the boys are learning to be quieter!). Hang in there and maybe Addy will do the same – us moms definitely need our morning alone time!!

9. I am a firm believer in, “Everything happens for a reason.” We may not know why it’s happening, but God always makes sense of it for us at some point. You and Darcy were there for each other, and each came away feeling the lucky one. How cool is that? Makes my day.
    BTW-My husbands’ birthday is today, and I am the lucky one for having been chosen by him. He is supportive, kind, loving, humorous, witty, a natural at daddyhood (and step-daddyhood, too), and someone I wish I could be as good as. So, Happy Birthday, Darcy. I’d say you’re pretty special, too.

10. Very cool post today Stacy! I’m glad Darcy made your day and that you reciprocated with a little ‘fun’ gift for her. That’s why we’re on this earth, to pick each other up and help those who need it!
    I’m dropping off my mums tonight, after dark!

11. Ann Johnson says:

What Darcy said is so true. You are a true inspiration and I love following your blog. I love BPS also. There are great teachers and great classes. Your the best. Have fun in Japan – safe travels.

12. Monika, I agree with you whatever happens usually happens for a reason and there are no accidents ( I know a bit Freudian). I will be 60 years old this December, divorced for 10 years and as spiritual as I consider myself; I cannot believe my “higher power” wants me to live without my soul mate. There are so many things i want to do, see and experience. I want to share all of this with someone with great joy and laughter. “Oh my gosh what if it doesn’t happen for me”? Personally, I don’t want to continue. Hitting 60 is a powerful milestone for me. You are a dear.
    marilyn

13. Kris Van Allen says:

Stacy, I noticed that you didn’t have running listed in your ways to cope with anxiety…I hope you are still making time for that. When you post about things that have come to you while running, or I remember that photo you took of yourself one cold morning after a run, all sweaty with a hat on, but appearing so serene, I KNOW how much running means to you. So get out there and RUN.
    And know that everything you do is very important to a lot of other people!

14. WOW Clark and Chase! I could NOT do that. YEAH Addie for preschool!
    I made my youngest daughter a clipboard it is really helping her.
    Happy Birthday Darcy! Congrats on discovering BPS….be creful it’s addicting!

15. Yay for Mums.
    Thanks for completing the mission!

16. I am still running — I just went to bed too late Sunday night and then up at 5:00, so I went walking instead and called my mom (on my walk)So I guess I forgot two coping strategies (walk/run and talking to my mom!)
    I seriously don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t get out in the fresh air for a run. It wouldn’t be pretty.

17. I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes, Marilyn. I want to be there to give you a hug and be your friend. Although I am only 45, I have too been through a divorce (when I was 34 and had been married for 13 years). I was so selective in my dates, hoping to find a soulmate and friend, as well as someone who had it in him to be a good dad to my son who was 4 at the time. Not easy to do when there is a child that still needs to be raised, know what I mean? But, we found each other and we’ve been married for 11 years and have had 2 daughters together…and he’s 8 years younger than i…wink, wink). I can feel your frustration at thinking that 10 years is a long time to wait for your soulmate. I am sure you’ve tried all the usual places for finding someone with similar interests, but………have you thought to look around you and be open. I mean, while you’re at Target, keep your eyes open, you might be surprised to find that there are men sneaking a peek at you like you’re sneaking a peek at them (insert sly grin here). Or, why not go up and ask a gentleman you find interesting, “What would you recommend in the way of barbeque sauce?” if someone is standing there looking. You just never know what’s in store for you when your eyes are WIDE OPEN. Okay, enough with the guidance. Just know I’m sending you a big hug and keeping you in my thoughts. You are special, I can tell. Now, go out and let some lucky man find that out for himself.

18. leslieackman says:

This was a day lifter for me!! Stacy, you are amazing…what a sweet thing to do for Darcy. And I totally agree with her…I love your style and your blog!! (and your books!!)Les

19. Wow Stacy, when you said ” I kid you not, every single time I get overwhelmed and wonder why on earth I try to do all that I try to do, I get a sign that what I do matters.” it really hit home for me. I truly believe that in lots of little ways God puts little signs and reminders in our way when we need them and it’s so wonderful when we have our eyes open to seeing them. I’m so glad that God put Darcy in your path when you needed it!
    By the way, more than once things that I’ve read on your blog or in one of your classes ended up serving as one of those little signs/reminders for me. I’m glad that God has put you in my path at times…thanks for all you do Stacy!

20. Leora Henkin says:

HI Stacy. Good luck with your list..and please travel safely. Thanks for being there for all of us.
    Jacob, too, has the zero period, but ours is not quite as early as yours.
    I am so doing the mums thing. Thanks for sharing the idea.
    Leora

21. Scrapycandy says:

Happy Birthday Darcy!

22. Zero hour here is taught by my husband. It starts at 7:30. Early morning is at 6:30. You should move to Canada and then you could have better seminary hours. ;-)

23. Wow. This is cooler than cool. I’m so glad Darcy wrote you. And I’m so glad you posted it. I loved reading it.
    Happy Birthday, Darcy! May this be the best yet! :)

24. Em also has “zero hour” classes – this is the 3rd year! Marching Band in the Fall, and Jazz Band when Marching season ends. Starts at 6:45am. Today – she didn’t quite make it – rough night. She was only about 10 minutes late, and her loving Dad got up and picked up all her carpool so that they wouldn’t be late as well. (Since she started driving this year, she helps out several neighborhood parents by taking several teens to school at that early hour) Sorry about Addie awakening – but the noise should become “normal” soon – I often sleep right through Em getting up and ready and gone!

25. get a sound machine for little miss! it helped us GREATLY! I also had the kids come downstairs to get dressed and ready.
    Love your work!