Sprinkle No. 16

Planes, trains and automobiles really are amazing.

plane taking off-1

Think about modern transportation as you come and go this week. Feel curious about things that go.

*Sprinkle* your life with a little gratitude for the time in which you live. There will always be inconvenience tied up in travel, but we are able to reach far away destinations in the matter of hours — that’s a cool thing.

• Treat your trusty set of wheels to an automatic car-wash.
  • List the places you’ve flown to in the last five years.
  • Check out a book on the history of planes, trains or automobiles.
  • Talk to a child about how transportation has changed and about how it is changing to meet the needs of the future.
  • Ride the bus this week.
  • Leave me a comment and answer this question: If you bought a train ticket, where would you go?

I love this poetry called ‘Flight’ by artist Brian Andreas:
I knew a man in college who grew up in the inner city of Chicago & what he was doing in Iowa I never did figure out. But whenever he would see a jet trailing across the sky, he would stop everything he was doing & he would watch. Once, after a jet was gone & there was nothing left but the white line disappearing like a scar into the blue, he turned to me & said, An airplane is a miracle & I didn’t give it much thought, but now & then, when I am ready to give up hope for human beings in general, & for one or two of them who are bugging me specifically, I will look to the sky & there will be one of those miracles & I will remember it’s all about concentrating on the right thing.

spirit_rear

Take flight this week — if only in your imagination!
close_sprinkles

Comments

1. If I bought a train ticket, I would go to California which is across country for me. I’ve never been beyond the states that make up the East Coast so I’d love to be able to visit the other areas I’ve yet to see.

2. It’s not ‘if’ we buy train tickets – it’s ‘when’ we do…
    We have lived in Europe for two years, and train travel is very common. For our next trip we will be going to Normandy in France, for spring break. We plan to take the train to save some wear and tear on our vehicle (plus save a bunch of Euro in gasoline money).

3. The one train ticket I REALLY want requires a plane flight first . . . I’ve had a dream for the last five years or so of riding on the Orient Express – seeing the sights from London to Venice and then on to Rome.

4. My train ticket would be to travel around Italy. Yum!

5. Vinyl lady says:

I would get a train pass to go all over Europe. That sounds like a great trip, live out of backpacks and hike and stay in Hostels. Just this morning I booked a airline ticket to go with my hubby on a long weekend, I get him all to myself for 3 whole days, *squeal*(we celebrate 25 years in 2010). What a great reminder of the amazing way we can travel and the amazing brains we have.

6. LOVE WEST JET! They are an awesome Albertan company!
    I washed my van today, unfortunately it was manual.
    I would buy a train ticket to travel across Canada.

7. If I bought a train ticket…I would travel from my home in Edmonton across the great country where I live (Canada) to Toronto where I would visit with family. Then I would continue my journey to the Maritimes and just hang out there for a while. It would be great to be able to eat, sleep and read some really great books without having to worry about traffic or timelines; just relaxing and soaking up the views. What a great idea Stacy!!

8. lynne moore says:

…If I bought a train tix… wow, I don’t know. One thought was along the Columbia Gorge in Washington. One was to different countries in Europe. One was up and down my own town and really view it like a tourist.

9. How funny to open up my weekly *sprinkle* of joy and see a photo of a plane belonging to my FAVOURITE airline! I had just gotten off the phone after explaining to my secretary once again why I won’t fly that OTHER airline up here in Canada. And what’s on my scrapbooking table? A 5″ X 7″ of the wing tip of Westjet plane on a page titled COMFORT, as in “It is always comforting to step onto a Westjet plane and know that they are happy to see you, you will get where you need to go safely and happily and, surprise-surprise, your luggage will arrive at the same destination on the same day and at the same time!” My motto is: if Westjet doesn’t go there, then neither do I! Of course, on a couple of occasions, I’ve had to go “off-route” and I have done so by train. For 20 bucks I upgraded to First Class and was treated like a Queen. Train travel remains civilized and classy. Thanks for the reminder.

10. If I bought a train ticket I would take the train to Salt Lake City, Utah to visit my cousins who I haven’t seen in years. Then from there I would ride up to Alaska. After Alaska, I would come home to Buffalo, NY via Canada. I haven’t seen Alaska or much of Canada and would love to see them both. Of course this trip would have to take quite a long time as I would stop in a lot of interesting places and spend a couple days with my hubby taking tons of great pictures, for him to sell and for me to scrapbook! And riding on the train, I could take some scrapping supplies and work on some ideas as I travel. Sounds like a fun trip to me!

11. My family and I have taken many train rides. I would like to go from Ohio to Toronto or Montreal and take the train across Canada and ride the train in Alaska. Ah, the places you’ll go!!

12. Barbi in Ottawa, Canada says:

If I bought a train ticket, I (and my girls) would go to the Maritimes (New Brunswick, Canada) and visit family there. I will do this someday, unfortunately, train tickets are more expensive than flying most times and driving is cheaper than both. But I think it would be so much fun especially for the girls.

13. As my 6 year old son is a train fanatic, we are always surrounded by trains (toys, models, movies, books and websites). I have wanted to go down to the train station and take him for a ride anywhere the train goes. The only problem is that trains only leave Spokane around midnight or 1am and not much can be seen at that time!
    We are headed to CA to see my parents in March and are thinking of taking the train from LA to either the San Diego or Santa Barbara Zoo so the kids get to ride a train and we can all enjoy the view (without the traffic). I am sure that I will take many more train rides but probably not from Spokane unless it is a cross country trip. Trent would love to ride the Acela and I think my daughter would like it too (when they are a bit older). One of my favorite memories is a train ride home to LA from a family reunion in Minnesota when I was 10. My brother and I had a blast running through the cars, talking to people and seeing the sites. My mom says we were occupied the entire trip and loved our little sleeper car.
    So, short answer, I would buy a ticket to Boston, MA so we could take a ride on the Acela and enjoy seeing the landscape of our beautiful country along the way!

• ana smith says:

My friend and I took our kids to San Diego from Fullerton, just to give them the experience of a train ride. They were 7 and 9 and made friends with everyone on the train car. They’re now 26 and 28 and still talk about the trip.

14. my immediate thought to your prompt was Istanbul – a long train trip as I’m in Scotland – passing through many interesting and different countries and ending the one of the most vibrant cities I know. Thanks for the prompt to imagine this journey

15. If I ad a train ticket, I would go WEST to Colorado! I was born and raised in Colorado and am now living in Florida. I miss the Western culture AND my family :)

16. We have ridden the train in Gr Britain, also in Europe. But if I had to get on a train here in TX and go somewhere, I think maybe through Canada to Alaska. There should be lots of wonderful sights along the way. Then maybe I’d take a cruise ship back to the USA.

17. i read years ago on the 52 projects web site by jeffery yamachuci, a project was listed as such: go to the train station, hop on a train to a little obscure unknown town you have never been. get off the train at any destination, take photos of the area and hop back on the train! document your trip. i have been dying to do this and i think this summer i am going to give it a whirl!

donna
    london , ontario

18. ana smith says:

I would travel from Long Beach, California to the State of Washington. The view from the window would be enough, but I’d also be able to visit any city along the way.

19. Monika Wright says:

Riding a train reminds me of my (military) childhood in Germany My Mom is German, so would go to my grandparents’ house and join up with my cousins, too. So, in my mind, my train trip is one to long ago when my grandparents were still alive and we were all small running around eating fresh strawberries from the garden, dipping them in sugar and getting sprayed by the water hose, all while in our underwear because it was actually a hot day in Southern Germany!

20. If I bought a train ticket….I would buy one for the trans-Canadian trip…something I’ve always wanted to do…. (and I’ll wash my car come Spring when it will stay clean for more than one day! I live in the snowy Midwest!)

21. This is an easy-breezy answer for me – From my home in Lehi, Utah (SLC) to SAN FRANCISCO! I’ve always wanted to go back there for a week or two. I’d love to show my favorite places to my husband and my 4 kids. What a great trip that would be!

22. I’m British, living in Thailand, and have just taken the train from where we live near Bangkok down to Penang in Malaysia for a few days, then on to Kuala Lumpur, and then to Singapore. We fly back to Bangkok tonight. It’s been amazing. I’d recommend Chinatown in KL and Singapore to everyone – KL’s great for local crafts and Singapore’s great for the food. I love travelling! :-)

23. I would take VIA rail from coast to coast in Canada – it’s my dream trip!