geocaching fun.

We spent the day yesterday, with our geocaching grandpa.

our first cache was relatively easy–the GPS led us straight to a  park and the hint said 2nd tree from the west.

Not all caches were that easy. It took almost 90 minutes to find this one. I will never look at old farm equipment the same way again!

Taft found one cache–that was a good thing!

I captured Chase’s bored teenager look against the cool texture of this doorway …

… just before we found this ‘micro’ cache.

In the end, Clark persisted and found the smallest cache I’ve ever seen. We didn’t even try to remove the register–we didn’t have tweazers to get it out and knew we wouldn’t be able to get it back in!

We’re off to Leavenworth today — more caches and more fun!

Comments

1. I have found a few of those when I was letterboxing — http://www.letterboxing.org for more info. Either way is a very cool way to have fun outside. Or inside — I have found letterboxes at ice cream shops, museums, even a White Hen Pantry!

2. That looks like such fun. I haven’t done any geocaching, but know some who have and they always have a great time. I don’t even know how to do this. Maybe you could give us some more info on where to find the “clues” etc. that would be great!

3. Teresa S. says:

Not only did this look like a lot of fun but what wonderful memories your kids will have about this time spent with their grandpa. How cool is that?!?!

4. We LOVE Geocaching!!! I made a small on going journal type scrapbook about it. A quick little where, when kinda album. We don’t tell the kids we are going for a hike any more we say “let’s go geocaching” and they go for hours.

5. We absolutely love geocaching! Its a great activity for the whole family. It looks like you guys had a blast.

6. Peggy Leland says:

my 6 year old would love this, especially if I tell him it’s a treasure hunt.

7. Please let us know if your kids enjoy Leavenworth. I’ve heard it has great shopping, but what is there for kids to do?

Thanks!

Laurel

8. we have a geocache grandpa too! it’s lotsa fun!!

9. Am I the only one who has no idea what geocaching is? I’ve got the gist from this post, but will Google it for further enlightenment! Feeling a little in the dark here. :)

10. Jo-Ellen says:

How fun! DH wants to start geocaching with the kids to get them outside a bit more. Now that it is finally approaching spring we may be able to use his new GPS.

11. Leavenworth is one of our favorite “daycation” spots. If you haven’t already, be sure to eat at Andreas Keller. Their food is some of the best in town!

12. Oh I so wish you’d post a brief “how to” of geocaching. I would love to embark on this with my son. He got a GPS hand held unit for Christmas but we’ve yet to use it! UGH!

13. Misty Woerner says:

My friend loves to do this activity as well. She and her spouse traveled to see us in Cairo, Egypt. (My hubby is military working here at the Embassy). So of course we took them to the Pyramids and she found her cache so easily and I was snapping away with my camera. I’m glad I did because when they got back to the States she left her purse along with her camera on the train. :(

There were a lot in our ex-pat community too, so if you ever make it to Egypt you’ll be busy.

14. Lorraine Reynolds says:

I’m another one who has never heard the word ‘geocache’ so have absolutely no idea what the heck you are doing.

15. Allison S. says:

Our family LOVES to geocache! We’ve been doing it only since last summer, but try to get out every chance we get when the weather cooperates. For those who don’t know what it is go to: http://www.geocaching.com. Hmmm….it’s a beautiful day, maybe we’ll get out and find some caches!

16. TracyBzz says:

Love Leavenworth! I’ve been there 4 times. We come down from northern Alberta to the very southern part of the Okanagan, then we cross the border to trek even further south to Leavenworth. I imagine it’s what being in the Swiss Alps would be like, such a charming town.
    Have fun!!

17. Heidi P. says:

WHAT?! You were here in Leavenworth? How cool is that? I love our little town and love that you were here. Two of my sons work at Munchen Haus –the outdoor bratwurst and beer garden. It’s a family place and they even allow dogs! Where did you eat and what did you do? I hope you missed the SNOW!

**As for kids–=there are walking trails and little ‘beaches’ down behind the town on the river (Blackbird Island), Icicle Junction (mini arcade & movie theatre), and there is usually some festival going on for the whole family. (Maifest, Ice Fest, Birdfest, Kinderfest, etc.)

18. LOVE the Bronco jersey!!