Happy Memorial Day, post #2

Why am I writing a second post on a holiday?
Because, as I painted my plant stand and drove home from our new Jo-Ann’s store, I just happened to listen to an amazing TED talk, that in my opinion is perfect for today.

This is Dean Kamen, inventor. He is making a difference for the people who most deserve it.

Please watch this for me. It will be 20 minutes well spent.

My favorite line is Dean’s opening line, “It’s not about technology, it’s about people and stories.”

Comments

1. Thanks for posting this Stacy. I’m ALWAYS inspired by Dean Kamen. My son has been involved with FIRST Robotics Challenge for the past 3 years and he will be a Senior next year. Dean Kamen gives a keynote via live video feed to all the teams to announce the game and although the kids like to get to the game I go to be inspired and to be reminded to think outside the box and discover new ideas. This was an exceptional speech too. Not to mention both my husband and I are veterans so it hit me pretty hard too. I’m going to be checking out more TED talks. Thanks!

2. Loved this too…very touching.

3. Thanks so much for sharing this. I was so moved. I never heard of him, but what a powerful speaker.

4. Thank you for sharing this video. Living in a military community, I often see families suffer. It is a wonderful thing to know that there are people back home working to give the veterans what they deserve.

5. Candace B. says:

Of course, he started FIRST Robotics which has inspired so many kids, including my youngest. He sent my oldest a congrats letter for his Eagle Rank attainment. He is amazing!

6. Patty C says:

This is a man who truly inspires people – young and old – to do better and change the world! We have been involved in FIRST for 5 years and that involvement led my son to his passion in engineering. I’m sending him off to college in a few months to study and make this world better. And, just think – it all started by building a robot.

7. Tiffany says:

Stacy, Thank you for putting this out there! It is really amazing to think of the sacrifices that some give for our safety and freedom. Thank goodness there are people like Dean Kamen in our world!!

8. Hannah Means says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I was truly moved by this quiet unassuming man and what he is doing for our heroes. I shared this post with my SSMB message board.

9. Angie F says:

Stacy
    Thanks for sharing this video! WOW!! That was amazing! I watched tonight after I put my kiddos to bed since I knew I would have the time. :)

10. Thanks for sharing this with us. It truly was time well spent to watch this video. Very moving.

11. Hey, this blog is really happening! It took me quite some time to read through all the answers. I appreciate the idea of tweeting the post so that more readers find it! watch treme online

12. Verona Highsmith says:

Am catching up on my blog reading. Thank you so much for sharing this moving talk. WOW! Thank God for men who care and for the service personell how need him to help remake their lives. I’d never heard of him. Thank again for posting this.

13. Suzette says:

Wow! So beautiful! So complicated and so simple–do the right thing!!! I’m not LDS but I’m guessing this would be a great example of CTR. I’m going to have to look up FIRST because I have a budding engineer at home. I’m going to have him watch this too so he can see that he can use his technical, nerdy skills for some amazing humanitarian work!

14. September Birth Flower For that extra touch when you give your September mothers ring, consider getting aster or
    morning glory flowers to go along with it. You will be shocked just how your landscape could give you an opportunity to simply breathe.
    There are a lot of styles: you can have the garden full of trees, flower beds,
    vegetable beds.

15. While most reputable truck driving schools formulate their CDL training programs based on the model curriculum designed by the
    United States Department of Transportation, there are still differences in the duration of
    the courses offered by each school. And as a father of two
    young student athletes, he is well aware of the risks involved when they go to meets with their friends.

This method of choosing may work as a fluke for some,
    but for most others, a well researched choice is always a better option.