Scrap by Color: ORANGE

I’m back from Inspired and delighted that you are enjoying this little series on color. Today is all about ORANGE.

I’ll collect up the questions that are being asked and do a color Q&A very soon.

In the meantime, here’s a photo of one side of my very narrow ‘back storage’ space in my studio. You can see the build-it-yourself shelf my eleven color bins are stored on. I have a bin for …

red
orange
yellow
green
blue (turquoise)
purple
black
white
brown
multi-colors

and …

No, I do not put them back in the same spot every time, but
Yes, I do (quite often) have two or three bins out that I am working from.

Oh, and I’m sending a fun little package of orange goodness to Beth Holmes for commenting on my blog this morning!

Look what happened while I was away …

I’m so tickled the camera came out — see, they are catching on.
Summer must be right around the corner!

Comments

1. Teri Buczkowski says:

Dont know what took me so long to find and follow your blog but I am loving your color videos. I find them informative, informal and at times humorous. I love watching them as i feel like we are all getting to know a little more about Stacy. I hope when you are done with your color bins you go onto how you organize paper and other items not covered in your bins. I am impatiently awaiting the next color. Thanks for the giggle on the botched up knock knock joke. Oh by the way I took you finish line scrapbooking class at a CKC in Buffalo and loved it you taught so much in that little time. I love the album I made and look at it often remembering not only the great vacation I had but the fun I had making it with your help.

2. there is something cool about boys getting their summer buzz! athough its a little sad.. i swear my 7 year old aged about 2 years when he just got his!!

3. PERFECT day for orange! the sun is shining, the kids are happy, the popcicles are out in full force and I’ve been smiling all day!

Wish I could come take a peek at your office…I’m needing some organizational advice/inspiration.

Enjoy your sunshiny day! :)

4. How do you clean out your candle jars. I have never had luck getting them down to the glass.

5. Kristyn G says:

loving the color videos Stacy! Thanks for sharing your “method to the madness” that is scrapbooking embellishments!

6. Amy Ferguson says:

Quick question. Where did you get the natural bins that hold your colored embellies?
    I’m helping a friend re-organize her creative space and i think these would be perfect for a trouble area!
    I’m loving the color posts!

7. fuzzy boy summer heads!!!! love them!
    We have only girls so I don’t get that opportunity. When I taught junior high, I would purpose to pat their little heads as I told them “good job” or whatever I could come up with that allowed me to pat their heads. A few students figured out my little head patting plan and would come running to my desk on a new haircut day just to bring me a little fuzzy headed smile. :)

8. I am so LOVING the color videos. It is like a little glimpse after the LOM class. Like let me show you how I organize photos and let’s take it one step further and show you how to put those pictures on to paper. Thank You.

9. Julie Coryell says:

Loving the color series! I separated my embellishments and ribbon by color about 6 months ago and I LOVE it! Makes me so happy to walk into my scrap room and see all that yummy color goodness!

10. My what handsome boys! But (is it Taft?) all those beautiful curls…GONE!!

11. Ashleigh says:

Another fun video!

I think your camera is set to mirror image and that’s why text is backwards. My webcam has the option to toggle mirror image off and on. Maybe you can change your settings? Hope that helped!

12. I’m enjoying seeing what’s in your bins! I like having things out where I can see them, so I have teeny tiny containers that hold flowers, brads, ribbon, etc. out on my two craft tables. I don’t have much stuff right now, so that might not work long term. . .

13. I have been dreaming of how to store all my stuff by colour since I watched your green bin video. And I mean literally waking up thinking that when I walk into my scrappy space there will be bins with pretty coloured ribbons on them … Sadly there is just the same storage there was when I went to bed (which is good – but I really like what you are doing!)

I do have the same 8 hole put it together shelf thing at my house already – with some green bins (cause that’s my fav colour too) so that is one step …

14. i just have to say that I love the fact that your shirt’s have been matching your “daily” basket colors! And I love your ideas, but I am so anal that I don’t think I can break up my multicolor stuff………I’m waiting to see that basket!!!

15. Kirsten says:

Girl, you are a color rockstar!!! And….I love those buzz cuts so much. I miss that. My baby is 19 and not so much for the buzz cut anymore. Whenever I see a little guy with a buzz cut I have to ask if I can just ruffle it. Love that.

16. Your boys look great! Orange is my absolute favourite color every :) And I like these little visits with you in your studio – thanks for sharing!

17. TracyBzz says:

Oragne album blue pages – Edmonton Oiler colours!! Loving your videos Stacy. Although I did know about your system, still watching and smiling. Colour makes me happy too! So jealous you got to go to Inspired, glad you made it home eventually. So proud of your boys for taking out the camera to document to buzz cuts!

18. Stacy, as a girly girl with sons, like me, I was just wondering why you don’t have a “pink” bin?!!!

19. stamphappy2001 says:

I am loving the posts on organizing by color. I have had my small embellishments (brads, eyelets, buttons) organized by color for a while now. This past week I have been working on creating color bins as well for larger items. I am loving it. Thanks for doing this. So fun to see inside your bins.

20. Rebekah says:

How awesome that the camera came out while you were away! That’s exciting!! Love your color videos and as usual, they are so very inspiring!!

21. I am converted to sorting by color and am going to do it! Thank you!

22. This is so fun to watch. Question – where do you put letters? Like letter stickers, chipboard letters, etc. And, if you can explain why they aren’t in the bins? Thanks a million!

23. I love the color sorting idea- you need a little bit more space than some people have, but how easy to locate everything. Thanks for sharing!

24. Karen Schmidt says:

Hi Stacy. I’m am loving the SCRAP by COLOR videos. I am so going out to buy some of the bins to start organizing by color. I love color. I also love the fact we can see your studio.

25. Kathleen says:

So awesome that the camera came out while you were gone, BUT please tell us they didn’t cut off Taft’s curls??? They are so adorable!

26. Phyllis says:

oh my! I remember when my boys did this – for a few daysvI just couldn’t help rubbing their heads when I walked by. Glad they took pictures for you.

27. I’m loving the color sorting – I’ve done it with my brads and my cardstock already but need to do it with the rest of my stuff. I think it’s so great the camera came out while you were away!!

28. Stacy, I am loving this series on color. So much fun! I’ve been converting to sorting by color and it makes SO MUCH SENSE. Color makes me happy, especially orange.

29. I love that your boys took pictures for you. How cool is that!
    I don’t know why I haven’t been here in days, but I am LOVIN’ your color shows.
    Thanks for sharing your bins and your logic.

30. Jeannette says:

AWESome of course! I am sending you email with an attachment with the color words, so be sure to check your junk mail in case you don’t see it:-)

31. We are SO loving this little video series! (“we” includes my husband who keeps peeking over my shoulder to see what all the silliness is about…I think he’s hoping you’ll inspire me to clean up my half of the office!) ;)

32. My husband shaves the boys’ heads every time I go out of town!! I cried when my youngest’s curls came off.

33. scrappysue says:

Hi Stacy, glad you made it back safe & sound from Inspired. And I am SO loving your little colour videos, totally brighten up my mornings! Thank you!

34. Thank you so much for doing these videos! I am so inspired to totally re-do my space now. Can’t wait for the next color! I am wondering – do you also store your patterned paper by color? I currently have mine by manufacturer, and I have also tried type of pattern but never color.

Also love the buzz cuts. I have 3 boys and there is no other way to go during those hot summer months!

35. donna c says:

I Stacey,

my big question as i gaze longingly at your back hall stash…..is where did you get that lovely stacking set of drawers that are narrow??? ohhhh i do love them!

i really am enjoying your very sound reasoning and methods for sorting things by colour! i am soooo inspired…i sorted by type of stuff but i am producing pages that are plain and nearly never grabbing embellishments! your colour sorting makes so much more sense!

36. Summer haircuts – woohoo – bring on the warm weather!
    I’m really enjoying your color videos. Color brightens my world!

37. Stacy, you bring sunshine to my everyday! I am loving your colour videos and would love to have everything sorted this way. So far I have my ribbon, cs, and pp done. I love your jars….I’m just going to have to start burning candles. Fab that the boys brought out the camera :)

38. I don’t think storing my scrapsupplies on colour would work for me and I prefer see trough storage with lids so no dust gets in, but it’s always fun to have a peek at other peoples scrapbooksupplies-storage and you got me thinking about doing vlogs about my scraproom, I might do that soon, thanks for inspiring me!

39. tammy perkins says:

I am really enjoying the videos – thanks for sharing your concept with us!

40. LOVE that the camera came out!! One of my hopes is that through my scrapbooking & photography I’m instilling in my little guy the importance of documenting life. Love that your boys did!!

41. Stacy I am so enjoying just seeing your bins and the informality of the way you are presenting the idea that you have. Thank you so much for just doing this.

42. Nancy M says:

Thanks for posting pics – I love to see others’ scrapbooking organization :)

43. I had to leave a message today!! Beside the fact that I love your blog and follow it daily and this whole color segment is fantastic…I had to comment about the images of your boys. BUZZ CUTS=SUMMER!!!!! I love those images. I have two boys. They got buzzed right at the beginning of super warm weather. Just for me too look at the them makes me feel cool and comfortable. And it’s so great to rub their heads….awesome feeling. Thank you for doing what you do…inspire others. Have a great day.

44. I’m really interested in your color storage system. Looks like it would be pretty easy to do. The summer haircuts bring back a lot of memories of my boys – they loved to have their hair buzzed every summer.

45. Lynnette says:

Thank you for the color videos, very inspirational! I sort some of my stuff by color-paper, embellishments, ribbon, but have always kept my ink pads, stickles, flock, glitter, etc all together, your videos have made me stop and ask why have I done that and I am going to try mixing it up a little more to see how that works with my creativity process. I also noticed that you don’t have a pink basket (do you put pink in red or purple – just curious?). Can’t wait to see more colors :0)

46. Sheila Kuhn says:

I just wanted to tell you Stacy what a truly inspirational person you are. Not just in scrapbooking but also in life. I hope that you are having a wonderful day.

47. Hi! It has been awhile since I stopped by, but I must say, I’m loving this color series of posts. Thank you! Very inspiring!
    Speaking of orange, have you ever noticed how hard it is to find an orange set of chipboard letters or even letter stickers in just orange? At least around my neck of the woods, it is. Odd…since orange is such a happy color!

48. Stacy, I love the videos (then again, I LOVE everything you do!!! lol). I have thought about organizing my stuff by colour for a long time (since you first mentioned it) and I have not taken the plunge yet. I did change my paper to be by colour but the embellishments are still by type. Maybe one day I’ll actually make the change but until then I’ll just be inspired by your colour bins! lol Great haircuts on the boys!!

49. Love, love, LOVE the summer cuts!!!! My boys do the same thing in the summer and I just love the look!

50. I have never even considered organizing everything by color……except my paper. It is such a wonderful idea. I am going to try it…..yay!!!! I love all your ideas and the LOM, but I am new to it, so it is taking a while. I have recommended “Photo Freedom” to many of my scrapbook friends. Definitely the BEST scrapbooking book ever. I LOVE not scrapbooking chronologically……YAY……..I’m not behind anymore :) Thanks for being you!

51. Karen C. says:

We love orange in our house! Great new summer do’s!

52. I am so enjoying the color videos. I bought bins over the weekend and started merging what I already had in those little three drawer unit into the bins with all the other stuff (paint, ink, etc.) that I never thought about including with the color drawers until seeing your videos.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

53. Orange is one of my favorite colors – so happy and warm. I’ve used it in my vanilla-white living room to add the pop of color.
    PS: I love the polka dotted tape/ribbon you showed in the video.

54. Love your color series. I do believe I will cordinate that into my area!

55. I have all my papers and cardstock organized by color…and I have the embie’s organized by color in a way…some of them are more in color families…I’ve been reading and wondering if I could/should/would do this…its on my mind anyway!

56. Stacy,

I missed your LOM class that you just finished and am hoping you will be doing one this summer? Please?

57. Candace B. says:

Knock Knock Orange you great? Ha! Keep up the great work!

58. Nancy L says:

I am loving this session on color. I have already separated many items by color, ie paper, my brads and ribbons but presently have the tiny items and ribbons on display in pretty jars and containers on my shelves. I was just thinking about going through stickers and other items too and your videos are coming at a great time. One color (or colors) that I don’t see on your list are gold and silver. Although I don’t have many papers and other items in this group I do have some. Do you have a seperate bin for these or where do you store items where there might just be a few? A second question which may be answered as I continue to watch these sessions (and please do continue!), is do you have a black bin and a white bin? If so, then do black and white items go into the black bin and all white items just go into the white bin (probably obvious but just wondering).

59. Wishing I had space to organize this way, I barely have space to store any supplies. I typically end up scrapping on the kitchen table and having to pack everything away before bed every night.

60. Thanks for another color video. Love the pictures of the boys! Don’t you sometimes wish we gals could do that for the summer too?

61. Jeannie says:

I am loving the color series. It’s so helpful to see how others store and arrange things.

62. deborah says:

I, too, am enjoying these videos. It really helps to see how you organize stuff. A few questions – how do you store/organize paper? Also, I’m wondering if this technique would work for me. I tend to scrap at crops mostly. Not sure if it would make sense to have different color bins that are transportable? Anyway, any thoughts you have on that would be great! Thanks for your blog!

63. {vicki} says:

orange is my favorite color!

64. Angie F says:

LOVE the orange bin!! Too cool! :) I could listen to you all day! I need to get myself busy and start my own bins so I can scrap more easily! I love that the color bin videos are not rehearsed! Thanks for the great inspiration!!

65. Laura P says:

There is something about watching you pull those bundles of goodness out of those baskets that is just DELICIOUS. I love your colour system, but don’t have the space (or supplies) to justify one for myself. Don’t you love re-discovering stuff when you rifle through a basket or box? Inspiring!

66. Tiffany H says:

You mentioned the art/craft area for your kids in one of the videos. Will you please show or tell us about it. I’d love to know what you allow your kids to use and how you store it. Thanks.

67. Hi Stacy!

I too love your blog and am definitely loving the color bins! Like you, my favorite color is green and I love that you shared that one first. One question I have is what do you do with metallics, do they get a bin too? if not how do you organize these. Thank you for all your inspiration both as a fellow scrapbooker as well as a mother and wife.

68. Green is my most favorite color and orange is a very close second (in scrapbooking; not as fond of wearing orange). I was at the thrift store tonight and was soooo tempted to buy several clear glass jars with lids. The only thing that stopped me is that Flower Factory (a local store) carries similar jars for less than the thrift store (AND scrapbooking supplies too…win-win). Oh, and love the curls (curls on guys are the best) and the summer cuts. I just gave my 2 boys summer cuts as well. There was so much hair in the trash, it looked like a wig. :D
    Blessings,
    Toni

69. Sue Bone says:

Loving these videos. Where did you get those cute bins. They look beautifully light to put on the shelf. I love turquoise and would have to do a turquoise bin separate to the blue bin. I loved the Finish Line Scrapbooking class I took with you a few years ago in Watford and can see how these bins would work perfectly with that idea.

70. Oh Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have tried and tried to sort my stash by color, having heard through you how great it is. Every time I set out to sort I get overwhelmed and before I know it everthing is back where it started and I’ve thrown my hands up and quit! Your videos are so helpful! They have taken the stress out of how I sort my stash and I believe will help eliminate the excess unused things floating at the bottom of my endless pile of scrapbooking supplies!
    Wow! Your a lifesaver!

71. Swoon over the orange. I love Orange. I painted one of my studio walls Orange. So, fun. Oh my Gosh Stacy I love your wall and how it is organized:)

• Cynthia,
      I have an orange wall in my little exercise room and it makes me so HAPPY! Orange lovers unite!

72. I had never thought that Orange was a color I liked. But… as I was looking at some layouts I did last year I realized that Orange in on a lot of them, some whole pages with an orange twist some with just a touch of orange, go figure. Your bin looks so fresh. You make orange look tasty!

I love this color serious. Oh and I like that Jen is hijacking your blog on Tueday’s gives you a “day off”.

73. Thanks so much for sharing your way of organizing by color! It really helps me to see what you keep in your bins and how you store your bins on a shelf. On Monday, I finally got out the Bliss Kit I ordered from you, and working on that and seeing how you organize your color bins helps this all come together for me. My mind is going over how to rehaul my supplies to make them work for me. Thank you for sharing your gifts of creativity, teaching, and encouragement!

• Ginny,
      I’m so glad to hear this! You are welcome — I’d love to see your Complete Bliss album when you complete it! Thanks for reading.

74. Please, please, please tell me where you got your rug. (The one in the shot that shows the bins.) I love happy colors like you and finding rugs to go with my decor has been a daunting task.

• Krystn,
      I’m pretty sure I got it at either Target or Fred Meyer. I purchased two sort of long and skinny rugs (I think intended for a girls bedroom) and put them end to end. I do love how it feels on my bare feet late at night!

75. Thank you..thank you…for these videos. I so look forward to spending a few minutes with you each day. I may not be able to scrapbook each day but I am trying to carve out a few minutes for myself and with a cup of hot cocoa I spend a relaxing few minutes with you and your wonderful insights. You are my godsend. Thanks.

76. Absolutely loving these segments! So fun to see all your goodies and I am now on the hunt for the perfect bins! :) I already have my embellishments sorted by colors, but in tiny drawers and my letter stickers are sorted by color, but in another drawer, then there’s the paint drawer and the flower basket and the…love the idea of putting it all together! THanks for the dose of inspiration! :)

77. Thank you for a great post

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by stacy julian. stacy julian said: Scrap by Color: Orange is up. http://tinyurl.com/27ryrtb and I'm off to run errands and buy food for my family. [...]

2. [...] Scrap by Color: ORANGE « stacyjulian.com have-two, not-put, purple-black, quite-often, same, the-same, three-bins, white-brown, [...]

3. [...] Scrap by Color: ORANGE « stacyjulian.com [...]