My summer sanctuary.

Spring has been slow coming this year to the Northwest. But we had a gorgeous weekend. I’m going to start with this, by sharing scenes from my front porch.

My little bench and rocker were looking really faded and sad, so we repainted them a few weeks ago. I purchased two new pillows at Pier 1 and even painted the pad on my rocker (just added fabric medium to a big bottle of Delta Apple Green and applied about three coats!)

2010 is our fourth summer in this house. Each year I’ve added a few more elements (pots, tables, plants, etc..) and I’m just loving the color and light and chance to nurture flowers again. I can totally see myself as a 90 yr-old woman who tends to her flower garden every day. It brings me such peace!

I love to sit on my top step and remove the dead flowers, while I talk on my phone, or let Addie play or just do nothing.

After my walk or jog, I water and if it’s a sunny day, I move pots around so they each get a turn in the sun.

I can’t wait for the evenings to get warm, so I can sit outside and read or even work on my laptop, while kids stay up late!

I think flowers and my front porch are my summer sanctuary — and might even become a coping strategy for me. I never thought about that until I just typed it, but I like the sound of that — summer sanctuary. That’s it, I’m changing the title of this post.

There is so much that is perfect in flowers — we don’t have any trouble overlooking their flaws, because their beauty is so evident. I wonder why we aren’t more aware of the perfection and beauty in ourselves.

How about the next chance you get, you sit with some flowers and contemplate on all the perfect things in your life. Decide to ignore the imperfections for 10 minutes and just contemplate the perfection. I bet you walk away feeling more beautiful.

Have a HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Monday!

And, you should know that I feel like shouting this from my rooftop. This is because I am officially on the mend. I experienced a remarkable and very  personal tender mercy yesterday and I feel like a new person.

really.
Happy, Happy Monday!

Comments

1. I’m happy for whatever it was that has made you feel so happy today. Happy Monday to you, too, Stacy. :-)

2. Your sanctuary is beautiful! I have a patio out back that is like that and a perennial garden, which makes me feel like your flowers do for you! :) I was having a slump this afternoon and your color, and cheer, helped. Thanks!!

3. Stephanie says:

What a beautiful front porch. Its rainy and cold here and your pictures have put me in a much better mood. Thanks:-)

4. Hope the happiness continues for you and your family. I love my back deck. I often sit out there with my first cup of coffee in the morning or if it’s a nice afternoon, I take whatever book I’m reading out and enjoy! Fresh air and watching the birds and squirrels are relaxing. Also, love my view of the garden.

5. I love what you said about flowers & their imperfections. Just perfect.

6. So Beautiful! One of the walls in my living room is painted that same color teal and I have a big lime green window frame haning on it! It is just so bright and happy! I love it!

• OK I looked agian at your chairs and they arn’t as teal as my wall! LOL but still very happy!

Thanks for sharing.

I am ready to dig through more of your color bins! Hint. Hint. ;)

7. Christy Miller says:

Stacy,
    So happy that you are on the mend and feeling happy! I love your porch and the bright colors are wonderful. We remodeled the grandparents old house last summer and we’re getting a new garage and new lawn this summer so I’m very much for creating a space to relax in and can not wait to do this with my soon to be patio! Happy Monday!

8. So beautiful, what a wonderful summer sanctuary! Brings a smile to my face.
    Happy Monday to you as well!

9. Peggy Leland says:

I love my garden it’s alot of work but it’s worth it!

10. I do that every day in my backyard and it is definitely one of the things that gives me the purest sense of joy!

11. bea medwecky says:

Your front porch is so inviting. I love all the colors. Thanks for sharing and for the happy thoughts you always send our way. I’m glad you are feeling better.

12. I loved this sweet post. For one, I love what you said about focusing on the blessings and not the imperfections. My blog is based on a very similar premise…glass half full. I strive to be able to see my cup as TRULY flowing over. But on my more trying days, I choose to focus on “glass half full”, on what I’ve been given or what has been wonderfully poured out on me.

And I also love to gaze at flowers. Marigolds aren’t the most exotic or beautiful of flowers. But I *love* to watch them be happy. They’re happy in sunshine. Happy in rain. Happy in early summer. Happy in mid-fall. They just want to LIVE and so I love them. And what about the Columbine? It’s the most amazing flower. 5 rounded petals with 5 pointed sepals of another color in between. There’s a long spur extending from each rounded petal/blade, but it’s in the color of the sepal. Sooo beautiful.

Glad you’re feeling better, Stacy. Have a good week.
    Blessings,
    Toni

13. Nancy M says:

Your front entrance is so colorful and inviting :)
    You are an inspiring woman – tell us, how do you do it? Honestly, I am envious of your energy, creativity, mood… how do you get it all {and then some!} done, everyday?

14. So glad you are feeling on the mend. I wish it were cooler here in SC. I am 5 minutes from Augusta, GA, and we had a record-setting high of 103 yesterday. When I got up this morning, it was already 80 degrees with the expected high of 102. No, that’s not “typical” of this time of year. Perhaps summer has decided to come a bit early. We could really use some rain though….my poor hydrangeas are wilting!!!!!

15. Julie Ann says:

Do share the color of your benches! We have the same ones and ours are definitely in need of some perking up. Happy summer and many peaceful moments of reflection and love in your summer sanctuary.

16. Girl…I just want to come sit on your front porch with you, have a glass of tea, and chat. You did a very good job of making it feel very welcoming, like home, and like a sanctuary. You have me thinking of ways to make mine more, so thanks! XO

17. Beautiful porch: I love just about everything about it except for the watermelon eatin’ crow.

18. Your front porch is indeed a summer santuary. So glad to hear you are on the mend.