Picture Summer

This photo make me happy and I think I know why.

I’ve been taking photos for years, but I when I take photos I generally take them from the perspective of a storyteller. This is a good thing. I take pictures so that I’ll have plenty of fodder for my scrapbooks. I take pictures of my family, of the places we go and love and the everyday things we do. I often take pictures with potential pages in mind. This is a good thing. Taking pictures however, has changed for me as I experienced, Tracy Clark’s workshop, Picture Spring.

As with most things I do, I jumped into this 30-day workshop full of enthusiasm and commitment, but April proved to be a tough month for me and I soon slipped from my perfect record of daily photos and started to do that stupid guilt thing we so easily allow ourselves to do. I told myself it was OK to fall behind, but I didn’t really believe it. I wanted to have a complete daily record of spring and I had blown it. Soon, nine or ten of the daily emails had accumulated, unopened in my in-box. I deliberated my options. In mid May, I decided to visit the classroom and see how others had done. I began to feel inspired again. I saw how my handful of images, while very spring-like were different from others’ images. I decided to take a walk and I started to really see, my spring. A few days later, I walked again, this time with my camera. I had fun taking pictures with some of the prompts in my mind. I took other pictures too.

In early June, I took my camera on another walk.
I took more pictures.
I realized that even though April was long gone, it was still spring!

I realized that while my original vision for a “perfect” daily project and theme album had evaporated like dew, I had captured pictures I loved. Pictures that I would have never taken outside the context of this class. I decided that it is OK to photograph beautiful things for the sake of photography alone.

I don’t know if I’m different than you.
I don’t know if something in me has changed for good.
I do know that I love the images I captured.
I do know that I don’t need to do anything with them–at least not yet.

Tracy’s workshop Picture Summer, opens today.
I’m in.

The July gallery is up at Write. Click. Scrapbook.
Our theme is HOMETOWN.
It’s also give away day — so I’ll be back tomorrow with more of “Look Back Week”

Comments

1. Annette Kuusinen says:

Excuse me, but how did you get into my head? That was so similar to my Picture Spring experience. I really enjoyed photographing my spring. I decided to take Claudine’s class, instead of Tracy’s. No way I can do both. Heck, I’ll be lucky if I finish Claudine’s before Christmas. lol

2. Candace B. says:

I’m glad you can inspire us. I’m not much into photography. But I do love hanging out with the birds in the garden. Had a hummingbird visit me yesterday. And I do love to photograph butterflies. Have not seen one yet! :(

3. Robin C says:

Love your Spring photos. I have many random flower, leaf, ground shots that my family used to think I took by mistake but they make me so happy, esp the mountain and snow shots. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

4. I love your pictures!! I try to do a good mixture of every day photos to record in my scrapbooks, and just taking pictures for pictures sake…of course, I am wanting to start photography as a career so I guess it helps that I do both!!

5. Oh Stacy,

I learned long ago to go take pictures of things I like and somethings I don’t like. Some I save, some I delete, some I print. But I have a whole folder of just images that at some point I wanted to take. We sometimes put to much emphasis on the pictures of the kids, the activities.
    I am by no means a photographer, I just pretend to be. Enjoy the beauty and sometimes the ugly around you.

Have a great day!
    Beth

6. Karen Schmidt says:

I feel the same way. I seen the emails of spring pictures back in April so i started taking pictures of spring. I usually take pictures of kids and activites, family stuff but never really thought of doing anything else. I love my spring pictures and continue to take nature photos. I love the way they make me feel.
    Thanks Stacy and to PBS for giving me those new idea and different eyes to look through.

Karen

happy 4th of July

7. I’m really glad BPS offered Picture Summer. I’ve always admired Tracy Clark and the Shutter Sisters. We live in Hawaii, so there wasn’t much spring over here! So I’m glad to be part of this workshop this summer.

I’ve always taken photos just for the sake of taking nice photos without ever intending to tell stories with them. But for the most part I try to do both at the same time.

PS. How cool that you have a picture of the Burke-Gilman trail sign on your Hometown layout? I used to live next to it in Seattle. I had a flood of memories come to me upon seeing it.

8. Your photos are gorgeous! I too find that I’m starting to take more photos of things that I love, just because. I hope to one day take a photography course. I am so tempted by this Summer class!

9. You have beautiful spring photography. Why not put them together into a ‘seasons’ album?

10. Oh my Stacy! That photo of the sky and trees reflected in the water is awesome! Forever reminding you of the waters of spring.

• I took Picture Spring even though many of the prompts worked better at the end of May rather than in April! I’ve always taken these types of photos and love them. They can work well with scrapbooking, it’s like you have your own ‘stock’ photos when you need them.

11. Bridget M. says:

Thank you Stacey for posting how your project didn’t go as planned, but you didn’t let the “guilt” completely take you over and you came “out of your box” and made the project your own.

I too have had one of those months recently, and now just getting back to my creative side.

Thank you for reminding me you can’t be perfect. You inspire me once again when I thought I couldn’t be inspired.

12. Stacy, your photos are stunning. Thank you for sharing them. Time for me to pick up my camera again and really take some photos.

13. Beautiful photos Stacy! Thank you for the encouragement in your post.

14. {vicki} says:

OMG!!!!!! Beautiful photos—I especially like the one of the house (BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!)—an the pine cone

15. Thanks for writing this and sharing your photos! I’ve been debating taking a class at Big Picture Scrapbooking for awhile, but you inspired me to take that step and jump in. :) You can see some of the photos I’ve taken at my blog http://scraplifters.blogspot.com/2010/07/july-3rd.html

Thanks for the push! :)