One Little Word.

I did it.
I did my January assignment in Ali’s One Little Word class (before leaving for CHA) and I’m SO HAPPY about this.

I’m using an 81/2 x 11 album from Pioneer.
The page protectors are Pink Paislee (see Ali’s supply list for more info)

I really enjoyed the opportunity to define and further explore the word ORGANIZE and I’m feeling even more motivated to let it guide me in 2011.

If you’re in Ali’s class then you know that you need a photo of yourself.
These are hard to come by.
In fact, when I perused my iPhoto library. The last one I found was taken in September. I did not want another “me with camera in the mirror” shot, so I used the timer on my camera to take some pics …

If you’ve never done this, do it.

Put a chair in front of a window and put your camera on a table and then just play until you get a few you like. I uploaded 43 images and deleted 39. Now I have to decide which one to use as my “beginnings” image. I also have to get Photoshop–no I don’t have it and yes, I can hear your collective gasps–I am committed to using the fabulous tutorials in class to *finally* do a little digital!

I’m really excited about this album and this ongoing project.
It’s NOT to late to get involved.

Comments

1. Mamasue123 says:

Wow, this looks great! Really love your work. I am trying hard to get going on my scrapbooking, implementing a lot if your ideas from big picture. Keep up your great work, you are my inspiration!

2. BARB TOPPING says:

Congratulations on completing your assignment! I truly want to do this class, but cannot think of a word. Being so introspective really frightens me. Have fun at CHA.

3. This is so cute! I love the little butterflies you added to the top of the page protector and the front! I’m still working on the final touches for my One Little Word Jan assignment. I hope to blog it this week. :)

By the way, had to tell you that I just got back this past Monday from a weekend long crop with some friends. Before we left I made up some scrapbook bingo cards with different challenges for us to do on our pages. We all contributed things from our stash for a prize bucket and had a lot of fun trying to get a bingo by trying new things. I went through your I love color tab and pulled a bunch of your color combos for our bingo cards. We had a lot of fun! I personally put some colors together that I probably would have never used, and I loved the results. Thanks for all the inspiration you have to offer!

4. I got my January assignment done also! Just having a ‘word’ for the year has helped me so much already. (My word is Nurture.)

5. I have half of my January assignment done. Hope to complete the last half by Monday. Talk about procrastination.

I like the first picture of you with your chin cupped in both hands with you facing the camera.

Thanks for the inspiration.

6. I wouldn’t have thought to use my timer, but it seems like such a “duh” now! I am planning to do my assignment this weekend and I haven’t taken my photo yet so I’ll use this technique.

My word is “peace.” Oddly enough for me right now peace means (in part) getting my house together and organized.

Thanks for sharing your book.

Have fun at CHA!

7. My word is “create”…and one of the things that I want to create this year is a more organized home! I’m taking Ali’s class too…and I’ve been putting off taking my self- portrait.

I love photoshop (I have elements, which is fine for what I use it for). You should head over to Jessica Sprague’s site…that’s a great place to learn all about digi.

8. I still have to do my assignment. I really should so that maybe it will be a better reminder of my word. I have to clean up my scrap space this weekend as LOAD starts on Tuesday and I have no room to create. I like the 2nd or 4th picture of you the best.

9. Congrats on finishing January before February starts! I got mine done mid-mont and am so HAPPY with the way it turned out!

I like the first photo of you – looking directly into the camera.

10. Teri Buczkowski says:

I love your title so cute and creative. My word is “enjoy”. I love this class so far. I am finding that because of this I am taking time to enjoy life more. I wear my one word necklace to keep reminding my self of this. I am constantly looking for ways to add more meaning to my one word. So fun! Thanks for sharing your word and i hope maybe please you will share some more of your organization of your scrap room with us….pretty please

11. Do we get to vote?

I love the first photo of you resting your chin on both hands, staring at the camera. Very sweet photo! BUT…I love the 3rd photo, too, where you are looking off into the clouds, as if pondering all the possibilities of getting ORGANIZED this year.

Of course, the last photo you look a little frazzled, which might be a good START for this journey…only if you take an AFTER photo where you look organized and relieved of all the stress your clutter brings you!

Congrats on doing assignment 1!

• BTW…I’ve chosen a butterfly theme for album, too! If I had a blog, I’d post it for you to see. Gotta get on the blog bandwagon, I know. BUT, it’s SO NICE to hear you don’t do digital either. Very inspiring!

12. Nicky from Canada says:

looks great

13. My January asignment is done, as well. And, yes, the hardest part was finding a picture of myself. Thanks to a visit from our daughter, I was able to get a few to choose from.

14. carol in seattle :) says:

Thanks for the push Stacy! I’ve been thinking about it, but haven’t yet committed. Thanks for sharing your assignment!

15. I love this! always lots of inspiration here:)
    Lori R

16. I love that butterfly adding dimension to your page! I did my word cards and made my own divided page protector – now on to the photo of me. Thanks for showing us yours!

17. I love the first photo! The second is a close second (in my opinion)–pun is totally intended! :) But I think you should definitely go with the one that makes you the absolute most happy!
    I’m loving Ali’s class! So happy I signed up for it!

18. I love your pictures. We have photoshop on our computer because of my son who is now away at college. I have been wanting to get better at using it and this is the class that I am using to push me to do that. Adding the overlay took me some time but I figured it our and learned a lot in the process. Good luck!

19. So cool! I love those fun page protectors. Your self-portraits are fantastic- I need more photos of me!

20. Lovely!
    I didn’t gasp about Photoshop, but that’s because I’m about the only person in the entire world who thinks I can get by just fine with Aperture + Pages : ) Have a wonderful time at CHA for me! Sniff.

21. Diane Anthony says:

Love this class. Can’t wait to see what Ali has us doing in February which is also my birthday month. My word is simplify. I can see a little organizing in my future with my word too. Thanks for sharing your pages! Can’t wait to see what you are doing with Project Life, too!

22. Love your photos. I thought about this class but didn’t think i would have the time to finish it. maybe i should rethink it?

23. I totally think the first photo is the best – a little contemplative with a hint of a smile, you look contented and your eyes reveal a peace in your life!

24. You look gorgeous, sista. xo.

25. Marilyn S says:

I’d better get crackin’ I haven’t even been to the courseroom…. !!

26. Oh, Stacy, your album is beautiful and your photos, too. I’m in Ali’s class but haven’t gotten my page protectors yet. It’s on my “to do” list. My word is JOY:]

27. Oh Stacy, your pages look so great so far. I like the first photo the best. It shows a hint of a smile, as someone already mentioned. I guess I need to get to work on mine, too. Just can’t find those darn Pink Paislee photo pages anywhere. LOL

28. Of the four pictures you posted, I like the one where you are looking up the best! I’ve tried, several times, to take a self-portrait. They always look strange to me. Probably because I’m not used to seeing myself in photos! Love the album!

29. Oooh, congrats on getting your assignment done, its so cute! Great photos too, I must use my self timer too, thanks for the reminder!

30. I need to try the timer thing. I am terrible about getting in pictures!

Thanks for taking the time to share. It is so cool that you are not just the “owner” but a student too! You ROCK!

31. I have also not embraced photoshop or digital. I really love putting things in my hand. Plus, if I knew what I was doing on the program I would want to edit every photo and then I would really have no time to scrap. Love your photos by the way. I think I would look better in my photos if I was wearing makeup, but I rarely do.

32. Great pages! I too had a hard time getting a photo of myself. I’ll have to try the timer trick sometime. Maybe a monthly self portrait session! :)

33. LOVE that cute little butterfly! So perfect!! Also, great idea to set the timer…..never thought of that! Hmmmm, I guess I have a photo shoot with myself this week!

Hope your week is spectacular!

34. Love it! The red album is fabulous. It is so much fun to have something tangible to look at and keep our OLW in front of us! I’ve been having so much fun collecting little bits to include in my bitty album and can not wait to see where this journey takes us!

35. I think you are right and I do need to set up the camera with the timer. Don’t have many pics of myself either and this would be a great way to get some, And I could just delete the ones I don’t like.
    Now which one are you going to pick!

36. Thanks, Stacy, for sharing that you are a Photoshop novice – it’s very encouraging to others like me! I was also encouraged to see that you didn’t have your pages for Prompt 1 finished right at the beginning of January – mine are only just done as well.

37. Thanks for sharing your first assignment. I’ve got mine done too, and ready for February! I’m loving this class, and am very intrigued by your new workshop that I received an email about…definitely going to register for that.

38. Thanks for being real. I too have only just finished my one word Jan. assignment. Life gets overwhelme=ing for me with my full time job outside of the home and inside the home as well plus my 3 children. I can’t imagine your life with your 5! Also, thanks for sharing that you don’t have Photoshop yet. I guess it’s always assumed all of the industry greats are fully digital, etc. I have only just begun to dabble in hybrid stuff using my Word program. I appreciate all of your inspiration. Thank you.

39. Great Job. I have always loved butterflies, so cute. Use the third from the left, it’s great.

40. my favorite photo is the 3rd one (where you are looking up)—makes me think “what is she up too?”

and about photoshop—I have it but have never used it

41. ana smith says:

yes i’m in class, no i haven’t done the january assignment yet. plus i start load211 on tuesday! ready set go. i think. ps i did take a picture of me though.

42. Damiane Lucas says:

I love your work, Stacy! Very simple and absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You’re so photogenic, too! Great pics.

By the way, I love your patterned paper. What scrapbook line is that paper? I haven’t done my January assignment, and I’ve got to do it quickly! I’ve been too busy with Project Life.

43. bea medwecky says:

Stacy, I love your pages. And my vote is on the second photo. You look introspective, but content. I am also in class and have not started, even though I do have my word picked out.

BTW, do you know if that cute polka dotted paper is still available? I used to get it at hobby lobby, but it has been discontinued.

Have fun at CHA.

44. great photos stacy – such a simple idea that we all need to remember – i have SO few pics of myself and while taking pics of dh and the kids at the park yesterday i did think …. i hope i look present in our albums… but think i will really have to work on it to APPEAR!
    thanks so much for sharing.
    im doing alis Y and T class and have loaded photoshop… and thats as far as ive got. its a 12 week course but i am giving myself ALL of 2011 to do the class and get familiar with PSE. ALis videos will SO help us tho. thanks for creating BPC for the likes of me :> julie

45. Yes I am taking this class and loving it! I like the album yo have chosen.

46. Nice work! I’m still thinking about taking this class, too!

47. Thank you for sharing this Stacy. I have finished my January assignment too, my word is Grow. I like the paper you chose, it would have been perfect with mine too.
    If you have never used Photoshop be sure to use the free trial before you buy it. I have had it for a while and love it, but I know a few people who don’t like it at all.

48. Sabrina Kapp says:

Thank you, Stacy, for the reminder and encouragement to start NOW if we haven’t already. I kept thinking ‘oh, you need to sign up,’ and yet I never did. Love your word and your thoughts behind it. Hope you’re having a blast at CHA!!

49. Thanks for posting your album so far. Love the colors you are using. THanks for the idea for taking your own picture. I’m going to try that soon. I am loving Ali’s class! I’m a bit behind, but that’s ok, cause my best buddie and her family are visiting. I can catch up later :)

50. A timer! Wonder why that was such a new concept for me? I’ve been standing in front of the mirror and not happy w/ the pictures….NEVER thought of using the timer! I’ve always saved that for the pictures of hubby and me while we’re out and about. Thanks for putting that idea in my head! Oh, and my favorite of your pictures is the first one~ Happy Monday!

51. I really need to sign up for this class! But I have yet to solidfy my word :(

52. I always love the way you do color:) It is so inspiring to me…so much so, I think I will dive into this one little word bandwagon! Your photos are great. Wow, 43 down to 4!! LOL that is definately what I would do…my fav is the one of you looking up and off to the side. Thinking about your word, no doubt!!

53. Stacy,

I love your photos! I’m going to have to give that a try as I tend to be on the other side of the camera or avoiding it!

I’d really like to take that class but my word this year is SIMPLIFY and I worry if I sign up for another anything that it will take me in the wrong direction. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
    Helen

• Helen,
      I can’t answer that question for you, but I know for me taking this class is helping me better understand what my word really means for me personally — the assignments will keep my word in front of me and help me be open to inspiration and ideas that will guide my choices. I think if you will feel obligated to do every on time, then you might feel pushed in the wrong direction, but if you could use the nudges and support of a community you might love it.

Hope this helps.

54. I love the colors and the sweet little butterfly! I usually use flat details on my pages. Guess I need to bust out and try something different.

55. I’m inspired by your album! It looks great.

56. Kristyn G says:

I really like the first pic of you :) looking forward to see how your word comes to be during this year.

57. Hah!! I thought I was the last person on earth to have or use photoshop. I downloaded the freebie last year and never touched it. That told me I had enough on my plate and didn’t need it right now.

p.s. All four photos are darling but I really like the first one. Very cute!!

58. Hi Stacy! I decided to not pick a word this year, since my life is so in limbo now. And I don’t want to use LIMBO at all.

I love seeing your album projects. They always make me want to scrapbook! Ali’s class does sound great, and she is a wonderful teacher.