Friday FIVE for March 4th

ONE.

I’m SUPER EXCITED about #1 … Library of Memories Digital templates are now available over at Scrapaholics AND to celebrate their release, they will ALL be sale this weekend for 20% off. Follow me on Twitter to get updates on all of my digital products!

The next FOUR items are not as exciting generally, but here are FOUR foods I’m eating LOTS of these days. They are helping me get well and reduce my cravings for sugar and refined carbohydrates — which means more energy for scrapbooking!

TWO.

Fage (pronounced Fa-yeh) GREEK YOGURT. I buy this at Safeway and my favorites are cherry and honey and they are so YUMMY. If you’re used to the uber-sweet and sometimes syrup-y flavor of common American yogurts, Greek yogurt will take some getting used to, but it is well worth the effort! Learn more here.

THREE.

Lundberg Jubilee BROWN RICE. As noted before, I cook up a whole bag and store this in small containers in my outside fridge. I have a hard time finding this rice. The store that carried it all the time closed, so when I do find it I stock up. I actually just purchased six bags of Lundberg on Amazon! Brown rice has pretty much replaced cereal and bread in my diet. I LOVE it and eat one or two 40z servings (with other things mixed in) a day–it’s that good!

FOUR.

Sabra Hummus is the MOST delicious thing.
I cannot even say how good my body feels when I snack on Hummus and cucumber in the afternoon. My favorite is the Roasted Pine Nut flavor and I buy the large tub at Costco!

FIVE.

Think Thin protein bars that have ZERO grams of sugar and are gluten free — AND STILL TASTE GOOD. For now, the top bar is the only kind of BROWNIE I’m eating. If I have to have something SWEET, I eat one of these.  I discovered these in the Fred Meyer health food section, but here again, I just placed an order on Amazon (best price I’ve found)

I’ve had several emails/blog comments asking about my health and the changes I’m making to eat better and sustain my energy without sugar or caffeine — this is it! I’d love to hear what healthy products you love.

Oh and btw, I ate Quinoa for the first time for breakfast this morning. Learn more about this ancient grain that is a complete protein here.

Happy Friday!

Comments

1. Good for you, Stacy! I’ll have to try the hummus, I would also like to find more energy building/healthy snacks. I love a banana and walnuts or an apple and string cheese.
    Can’t wait for Library of Memories!!!

2. I just discovered hummus about a month ago. I like Roasted Red Pepper variety. I like to dip veggies as well as pita chips or pretzels in it.

3. Hi Stacey,

I absolutely loved Fage greek yogurt. Yumm-o!! I am going to check out the rice and the hummus. They both sound great. I am a alum of LOM and can’t wait to check out the digital version. Thanks so much for putting that together.

I have to agree with you. Getting stuff in the mail, especially if it is a surprise, is wonderful!

Have a great weekend!

4. Sherri S. says:

My latest health foods I buy are almond flour and agave syrup. I bought a cookbook last year. Since I’m wheat allergic and very sugar sensitive this book helps me alot! Pancakes are delicious:D

5. Yum-O! We have hummus on hand all the time too. I like the little individual servings that you find at Costco. Mmmmm! I recently switched to Greek yogurt as well. I’m the only one in the house that enjoys it, but I’m OK with that. Thanks for the bar recommendations. I am always on the look out for quick snacks that are nutritious and actually taste GOOD. :) As for the caffeine, well, you’d have to pry that out of my cold dead hands. Ha!

6. Sherri S. says:

Sorry I am 2nd posting – I am being a bad girl at work and had to wrap up my 1st post quickly.

I just want to say I’m glad you are feeling better Stacy! I haven’t been a member of the BPS community very long but was concerned when you started posting about not feeling well. I also want to thank you for mentioning the Think Thin bars – I will definately check these out – yay something new to try!

7. We buy Sabra hummus too, but have also been making our own. It’s super easy: a can of rinsed chick peas, 1/4 cup tahini (found in the peanut butter aisle), garlic to taste, juice from half a lemon, salt and whatever u want for flavor–roasted red pepper, artichokes, spinach. Just throw it all in the food processor. Delish!!

8. We love homemade hummus at our house. Easy and we can put anything in it we want…a little bit of pesto and walnuts, some sun-dried tomatoes, etc. I just whip it up in the food processor and it stores forever. Not that we’ve ever tested that, a big batch is usually gone in a week.

We live right down the road from Lundberg farms in Durham, CA. Glad to see you include such an awesome product and company in your Friday Five! The rice fields are beautiful, and attract amazing birdlife.

Happy you are feeling better, too!

9. So exciting about the LOM templates!

My dear hubby and I have been making some food changes over the past year, trying to eat healthy. We are making slow changes, but finding some things we enjoy along the way makes it so much fun. We love going to the Farmer’s Market together and picking out local grown foods and are taking turns trying new healthy recipes. We like to snack on hummus, so I’ll have to look for the Sabra brand to try.

10. Quinoa is very yummy — my friend and I tried this combo — from the January issue of Marth Stewart Living — RED quinoa, slivered almonds, avacodo slices, drizzle of honey and almond milk. Can’t tell you how yummy it is!! Also, my friend uses quinoa to make a tabouleh-like salad. It is a super yummy super food!

11. I love brown rice so much, and not because it’s healthy, just because it just hits the spot for me. I will have to try this brand (via Amazon, as $100 says I will not find it in Cheyenne). Matt and I have been making steel cut oatmeal in the crockpot the night before–we are way more likely to eat oatmeal during the week if it’s ready to go first thing! It’s awfully good. We make it with a cut-up apple, cinnamon, and a dash of salt the night before and set walnuts or almonds and raisins out next to the crock pot for the a.m.

I’ve been searching for better yogurt choices with lower sugar contents… even the Greek yogurt available at my grocery store is to high, but I’ll have to make a trip out to Safeway to look for this.

One more thing in this book of a comment (but useful for everyone reading!) I’ve been following along on the Words of Wisdom Living blog this year http://www.wordofwisdomliving.com/ and have found it to be a great read all about food, healthy choices, good living. It’s written by Brooke Reyolds’ father (she is the old creative or art director of Martha Stewart Kids, and writes Inchmark Journal. How’s that for a super-convoluted recommendation?)

Hijack of your blog: over.

12. I love the hummus! Will have to try your brownies!

13. Quinoa is wonderful!! Try cooking it in low-sodium chicken broth instead of water, then adding red bell peppers, asparagus, and a little bit of grated cheese – yummy! I, too, am trying to kick the sugar habit – my downfall is Diet Coke, which, while it has 0 calories, still increases my cravings for other sugar. Slowly but surely….. :)

Enjoy your weekend!

14. glad to hear this is working out for you. A year ago my grandma and I made the decision (and commitment) to change what we eat. Not go on a diet, but simply change our eating lifestyle. We just stopped buying and consuming fried foods, sugary foods, white-flour products. A year later, her cholesterol level is a witness to how good we are doing! I decided to take the commitment because I was tired of my weight yo-yoing from unsuccessful diets, my acne flaring up and how sluggish I felt all the time. I had started going back to college and still working my full time job (and scrapbooking) so the change was certainly needed. Although I still have bad complexion, I have tons of energy and I have been the same weight for 16 months. I just love it!

15. Julie lueck says:

Are you not able to eat wheat grains now? I know sugary cereals are bad, but I like to add cut bananas to plain cereal. Is there still too much sugar in the standard non sugar cereals, plain cherios, corn flakes? This has been an eye opener for me. Being someone who has always struggled with my weight, I just assumed if someone was not overweight they were healthy. Brown rice is very yummy and taste sweet to me. It is so great that you are able to find some answers and solutions to your health issues.

16. Shelley says:

Ha! I’m eating Sabra hummus right now while I catch up on Reader! I also love the Lundberg rice, thanks for the Amazon tip. Lately I like a bowl topped with a poached egg and spinach. I discovered poaching an egg in the microwave here: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/how-to/how-to-poach-an-egg-in-the-microwave-125453 It’s so quick and easy!

17. If you can get your hands on a copy of Quinoa 365, Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming, it is an awesome cookbook with all of the recipes using Quinoa or Quinoa Flour! Very family friendly with lots of super healthy meals.

Costco also carries a great multigrain chip by these folks: http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com ,which has quinoa in it that is awesome for scooping up that yummy hummus.

Have a great weekend Stacy!

18. Rhonda Z says:

Thanks for sharing and I am glad you are feeling better! The bars sound yummy.

19. Nicky from Canada says:

love the templates

20. The templates look amazing Stacy! I’m so glad you were able to share your food favorites for right now. I’ve been working with a personal trainer at the gym for a few weeks now and really enjoying getting back in shape. I usually hate American yougurt, so when I found out about Greek yougurt, I was quite happy! I eat the Oikos brand with blueberry at the moment. Before hitting the gym, I have eggs (scrambled) and usually a snack of apple and peanut butter. I just bought some organic peanut butter so I’m anxious to see how that tastes. I also bought some plain hummus because that’s all they had in the sample size. I’m glad to have a suggestion to go on the next time I buy some. I have a feeling the plain may be a llittle boring. I’m trying to cut back on my pasta . . . that’s my big weakness I’m afraid. Oh, and I can’t forget the occcassional steel cut oatmeal for breakfast either. Now if only my kids would follow suit.

Thanks again for sharing these because I will be on the look out for them.

21. I love quinoa! Try it with milk and honey or cook it in broth with green bell peppers, celery, and summer squash and then add fresh tomatoes. It’s yummy! I need to try brown rice. With Japanese relatives it is always sticky white rice at our house.

22. So glad to hear you are finding some great food to help you feel better. We are just getting greek yogurt in our area that is not priced too high. I’m curious about the fat contesnt, if some fat is better than no fat? I love yogurt, often make it myself with a yogurt maker (I love the tartness) and eat at least two servings per day. This has made a big difference in my overall health.

Rice and Quinoa are so huge now. I have seen some really great cookbooks that have come out the past few months. Not sure if the sugar in this recipe is taboo but it is a really great recipe otherwise.

Digital LOM – very exciting but I have to say I am feeling guilty that I have a bunch of scrapbooking supplies in my cupboard and I would rather go digital. I work on my computer daily doing design work and it just comes so naturally to me. Paper, not so much. I can easily cleanup my digital mess but paper mess drives me nuts! What is the solution Stacy?

I’m curious, did you create the School of Life templates or are they just something someone who loved your system created?

Thanks for sharing!
    Helen aka the 15 Minute Mom

23. Karen Schmidt says:

I’m trying to eat healthy these days. I use coconut oil to cook with and it has totally replaced Butter. I cook with it and use it on toast. I have not found a hummus I like. Maybe I will try what you suggested. I drink sparkling Mineral water which has replaced pop. Boy can I tell the difference when I take a drink of pop after a long time.

I’m always looking for protein bars, my 14 year old daughter takes them to school when she stays after for sports. Glad you are feeling better.

24. Thanks so much for sharing…I have been really turning my eating around lately and have added so much protein to my diet. I am so glad that I found the greek yogurt and am so much happier with that. My new favorite are the LaTorilla Factory Low-Carb tortillas. You can usually find them in teh diabetic section of your grocery store and they satisfy my carb lover!

25. I am so hooked on your blog!! Just love that u share all kinds of things in life with us out here in cyberworld. Am doing weight watchers as need to lose some weight after double knee replacements, have always been up and down with my weight. I have never tasted hummus, but am going to try. Have never eaten greek yogurt, but need to try it. Only thing is there are more points (weight watcher points) in yogurt and protein bars, even though I know they are good for you. My activity is limited, although I am a nurse in dr office full time. So, thanks again for sharing!! As always, enjoy you!!

26. Susan M says:

You go, Stacy! I am also a big fan of the Sabra hummus, the Greek-style is my fave :) And thanks for the recommendation of the “brownie” bars. I’m sensitive to wheat, and I’m always looking for things to replace some of my forbidden ones.

Congrats on the digital templates!

27. Do you have a Trader Joe’s store near you? They have the Think Thin bars there and they also have their own brand organic brown rice in the frozen foods section. It is good and really easy – I just microwave it and keep it ready to go in a container in the refrigerator at all times. I recently just started an eating plan which has some of the foods you mentioned. Also, glad to see the new LOM templates. I have some of Maegan’s LOM products and they work great with my LOM system.

28. Debbie in AZ says:

I made this quinoa recipe for supper tonight and it was delicious — Quinoa with Corn, Scallions and Mint (of course, I forgot to add the corn but it was still tasty):

29. Yay for Fage! I love that stuff! Thanks for the tip on the brown rice, that stuff looks good. I strive to also reduce sugar and wheat in my diet, so its always nice to get good ideas. I heard that eventually a Trader Joe’s will be coming to Spokane, and there are lots of fun options there (and cheaper greek yogurt!) I grew up in Spokane so I know that there aren’t a lot of places to shop for healthy food. Yay for you Stacey! I love a fellow healthy eater. :)

30. Stacy, I am also a brownie nut and sweet lover and am working on reducing sugar in my diet. I love hummus and greek yogurt and I am excited to try the bars that you suggest. Thank you for that recommendation. Have a great weekend.

31. I’m so glad you discovered Fage – I eat it for breakfast every day with Wyndham’s of Maine frozen mixed berries and a few drops of honey. I eat the 0% fat, but the yogurt is so thick and creamy and has such a wonderful mouth feel that I feel like I’m eating full fat. I also mix it with a bit of salsa if I am going to eat some chips. I use it in place of sour cream in most things, and it’s great. I even add a few drops of honey, a few drops of rum extract and serve it over mixed fresh fruit as a dessert to company, and they’ve always said it’s delicious. You could leave out the rum extract, too. Fage is definitely a favorite for me. I was in Greece this summer, and it’s just like the old fashioned Greek yogurt you get in the terra cotta pots. I can’t stand American yogurt now. :-) And Fage has milk and cultures. Ever read all the unpronouncable stuff in American yogurt? Keep getting better Stacy and inspiring the rest of us to do the same.

32. Love to hear about Gluten Free products people love! My son is Celiacs and required to be GF. The protein bars look good.

33. So glad to hear you are feeling better. I checked out your list of fav foods and funny enough I eat a lot of those…not the bars though…I’ll have to try those b/c I need to cut out the sugar in my life (or even half of it would be good!) I’ve been doing a lot more Greek yogurt with fruit and granola (just a bit) and it really keeps me going in the morning and less hungry! Hummus has always been a favorite of mine…love it! You’ve inspired me to keep trying to cut that sugar out Stacy…thanks! (Coffee however may need an intervention with real rehab…not the Charlie Sheen kind…I love my coffee!) Have a GREAT weekend!

34. Greek yogurt and hummus are two of my favorites too!

I can’t wait for LOM! I really hope I can get in this year.

35. I’d love to make some changes to stop those sweet cravings too. Thanks for your food finds. I love hummus too, and while I do love the Sabra, I just found Cedar’s Zesty lemon hummus—it is FABULOUS! I love it with carrot sticks (and pita chips).

36. Good for you Stacy eating healthy! A friend of mine loves Quinoa and has been making more and more of her recipes with it. She has found alot of great new recipes using it too! And BTW…loving i.scrap!

37. Do the templates only come in 8.5 x 11?

38. Mmm.. I love quinoa. Our favorite way to eat it is in wraps with various vegetables (especially avocado), ranch dressing, and for my husband, who has to have “meat” with almost every meal, we will sometimes add bacon.

I’m glad you are finding an eating groove that works for you. It’s difficult to have to change your diet, but at least you are finding foods that you can enjoy!

39. Yay Stacy!! Isn’t it amazing how much better we feel when we eat healthy? I’ve tried Greek yogurt before and it was just awful, but maybe that was because the fruit wasn’t really mixed in (which is how I like my yogurt…smooth and well mixed). Now I am definitely going to try it again. I’d also like to make a plug for Flax seed. It has fiber and protein and it is super good for you. You can add it to EVERYTHING, including yogurt and hummus. It totally helped me lose 20 pounds last fall by making me feel more full so I didn’t need to eat as much. I get the bag from Costco (which I was told needs to be kept in the fridge even though it doesn’t say so on the bag), but I’m sure you can pick it up at Safeway or Trader Joe’s…look for the cold milled kind as it keeps more of its nutrients than if it is milled with steam….

40. Love that brand of humus too! Haven’t tried that flavor…will have to give it a try. :)

41. Mamasue123 says:

Just wanted to let you know I love your Friday FIVE! I have copied your idea for cooking brown rice ahead of time, I love it and now no excuses not to have it, and then have something not as nutricious. I love hummus as does my 13 year old daughter, we will have to give this flavour a try. Have a great weekend!

42. What a great idea those templates are! I especially like the Photos I Love ones. Very cool. And I’m a big fan of the Sabra hummus, but it’s the plain variety or the one with olives for me.
    I’m impressed with the changes you’ve been willing to make. You know, I think the reason I enjoy your blog so much is your happy spirit and the way that you embrace life. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

43. Wow, Stacy, those think thin bars have one long scary list of ingredients!!! And I only recognised two real foods on there, water and ground peanuts. I’d be cautious about putting all those additives into my body. I’m sure a real homemade brownie made with natural ingredients would be better for my body.
    I love Greek yogurt, I recently bought a yogurt maker (not sure if they are available in the US, I’m in France) and it’s the best yogurt ever!! And there are like 2 steps, soooo easy!!

44. Jeannette says:

Cool templates! But they aren’t showing 20% off today (sunday)
    they did yesterday….is there a special code or something we are supposed to use?

45. I was SUPER EXCITED at Wal-Mart (of all places) yesterday when they were giving out samples of your NUMBER TWO Greek yogurt. Before reading your blog, I had never heard of it so, when I saw free samples, I was THRILLED to give it a try. My 21-month old son and I shared a small cup of the strawberry one and it was good. Thanks for the introduction, Stacy!

46. I wish I was at your house right now. I’m in a house full of cookies left over from an open house and that hummus is SCREAMING my name!

47. I also love that Hummus! And my favorite is the roasted pine nut! It makes a great snack. I haven’t tried it on cucumber, but I will be!

48. Quinoa is the bomb! I predict it will be on your list very soon. I sub it for anything w/ pasta, grains (fabulous in tabouli). Love that I’m eating protein instead of filler and it’s just so much fun to watch cooking and eating. Only way it could be better is if it came in happy colors :)

49. I also LOVE Think Thin… whenever I’m at Michaels or getting my hair done, and I need a snack, I rush to the health food store next door to get one! LOL. :-) Yum.

I’m also a huge Greek yogurt fan. I have yet to try this brand. I don’t think I’ve found it. But I’m gonna keep an eye out! Thanks for the other suggestions… I’m gluten-free and pregnant, so I need all the healthy stuff I can get! ;-)

I hope you are feeling better! Speaking of which… how is your new calling going for you? I think of you often and am keeping you in my prayers! (My husband and I were just baptized in the LDS church last weekend!!!!)

p.s. Your templates look AWESOME!

50. Gina Taylor says:

Stacy! I live and work surrounded by Lundberg rice fields! We love it here in northern California. I recently purchased Photo Freedom off of eBay and am loving it. It may take a while to start the process, but I’m heading that direction. Thanks for your encouragement!

51. tchrtiff says:

I’m addicted to the thinkThin bars, specifically Mixed Nuts & Chocolate. I buy them at Trader Joe’s where they’re a little less expensive than Amazon. You might want to check out the prices for the brownie version you like. Thanks for sharing!

52. I just discovered greek yogurt too. I love the Chobani ones, I’ll have to try the Fage..
    I don’t know why I never thought of eating hummus with cucumber! Such a good idea and less carbs than the pita chips I usually eat it with.. We eat it by the tub here too!