April 21st, 1977 …

was a very good day.
It was the day that my sister, Darci was born.

At the time, I was awaiting my 12th birthday.
I was sleeping on a mattress in the living room of our home, because I was getting NEW bedroom carpet — Kelly green carpet!  Little did I know that I was also getting new bedroom furniture. I think my dad had made up some story about the carpet needing to “cure” and so my door was locked and I was shut out. I tell you this, because I vividly remember sleeping on the floor and my dad waking up in the middle of the night to tell me I had a baby SISTER. To this day, I remember the feeling of excitement in my heart — a sister! I could not find sleep after that news and I remember wearing my favorite dress (made with Holly Hobby fabric) to school that day, because I felt special. I couldn’t wait to tell Mrs. Carson my 6th grade teacher.

In 1979, my sweet sister Chanda was born–so Darci has had lots of girl company growing up, but I hated leaving these girls at home when I went to college and later on my mission.

This is a photo of Darci and I on the sleeper sofa the night I came home from my first fall at BYU.

I never dreamed that we’d all be such good friends today.
I found out this week that Chanda and her family are coming to Spokane for Memorial Day weekend!
Sisters are most definitely one the BEST things in life.

Now that Darci has a blog and a Twitter account, there are even more ways to stay connected and I LOVE that.

Happy Birthday Sister!

Comments

1. Happy Birthday Darci! What a great big sister you are. I loved those childhood photos & memories! :)

2. Sisters are so great. However I didn’t get one until I got married. I have three girls and it warms my heart when they get along so well.

On another note… I had the same bedroom furniture as you! LOL I think we are dating ourselves :) Hugs~ Jackie

3. Oh my gracious! Stacy!!! My sister (who is awesome-blossom, too) and I had that SAME bedroom furniture!!!! Did you have a canopy bed? We each had a twin canopy. Actually, I still have that little dresser in storage and my sister has the desk in her attic. Fun! And yes, sisters are wonderful, that’s for sure!

4. I couldn’t agree more. I don’t have a sister myself, but seeing how much my girls love each other makes my heart happy.

5. carol in seattle :) says:

So awesome! I have a sister and we did not get along AT ALL! Well, we didn’t until we lived in seperate states for about 10 years. Now we live 30 minutes away from each other and get together often. I can’t change the past, but I’m glad I have a sister in my present (and future)! Thanks for sharing your sis!

6. Sisters are the best!

7. aahh — what great memories! I always wanted a sister! I can relate about the furniture — I had a very similar set and love Holly Hobby (that is what my mother in law calls Hobby Lobby, but that is another story!) Gotta love the 70s.

Technology is great isnt it.. My yournger brother and I stay in touch now with it and are too closer than I ever thought we would be.

Happy Birthday to your little sister and have a wonderful Easter weekend

8. Sweet post. I had that bedroom furniture too, it was a hand me down and my parents bought the entire set for $100 and at one point, I had Holly Hobby bedding! I always wanted a sister and to this day, still feel like I’m missing out. I recently gave birth to my second daughter and am so thrilled that they will each have a sister. But now I’m sad for my son that he won’t have a brother! ; )

9. What a sweet story! I’ve got two older brothers, but no sister.

10. Family is a wonderful thing. :)

11. Happy birthday, Darci! Sisters are the BEST! I am blessed to have one and to be the mom of two.

12. Renee T. (italgal on BPC) says:

Stacy, some more things we have in common: I, too, have a sister I cherish, with the same age difference as you and Darci (…hard to believe, my baby sis has kids the same ages as my grandchildren!). Also, I had that same style of bedroom furniture! French Provincial I think they called it…Such a small world of coincidences. Happy Birthday to Darci, and Happy Easter to you and your family.

13. Sisters are wonderful and oh how I miss mine! She’s been in Heaven 10 years.

14. Love the trip down memory lane. It looks like you’re standing in front of MY childhood furniture. I didn’t have the hutch on my desk, but I had a desk, chair, vanity, triple dresser, twin beds and nightstand. Later I got a Lane cedar chest to match. I’m the youngest in my family, though, so I didn’t get any baby sisters.

15. Lisa R - saner4 says:

Happy Birthday Darcy!

I always, always wanted a sister when I was younger…instead, I had 3 older brothers. I am blessed to have several sisters in Christ now though. Definitely worth the wait!

16. what a great message – my sister just returned after being gone 7 months and I am *so* happy to see her!!! I love the photos you posted – I had the same furniture!!!!!!!! thanks for wonderful memories

makes me laugh when I think of carpet though – in my room, there was deep purple carpet (I loved it!!) and I remember my little toddler sister walking into my nice clean room with new carpet and furniture … without her diaper … I was not laughing when she left after having done her business … ;-)

17. Barb in AK says:

“Sisters are most definitely one the BEST things in life.”

A big AMEN to that! I love my sisters and we are such good friends. Whenever we are together, we just laugh and giggle and tell stories. It’s just downright FUN! :-)

18. I had a twin brother… no sister. However, my best friend (since 6th grade) feels an awful lot like a sister to me… IN FACT, she had that same bedroom furniture in her room, too. (It resides in her spare bedroom now.)

Your parents must be proud to have two beautiful daughters!

19. Sisters are wonderful. I miss mine so much. I lost her over 20 years ago in a car accident when she was only 26 and I was 25. I’ve missed sharing so much of my “grown-up life” with her. I look forward to when we will be together again and we can laugh and hug. God is good!

Also, love your pants in the picture. I had a pair almost exactly like that!!

20. The thrift shop down the street has a bedroom set just like that for sale! =) Love it!

21. How cool! I had that same furniture growing up!!!

22. My child is taking advance classes in middle college. The majority of his homework I cannot help him out it is out of my league.

23. karen schmidt says:

Sisters are the best. I have four of them and we are really close.

24. ana smith says:

my sister and me shared a room, she was very messy but love her anyway. ps….had the same furniture as you! must be a sign of the times.

25. I love this post. It warms my heart. It also breaks it a bit. I’m an only child and I hate it. I didn’t hate it when I was a child, but now that I’m 41 and see big families all around me it makes me sad, and sometimes a bit angry. But it is what it is. And perhaps it is the reason that I chose to have more than one child and to give my children the ultimate gift, the gift of a sibling.

26. How funny I am another one that had that same furniture in my childhood bedroom. I also had green carpet in my room.

Hope Darci had a wonderful sister.