Chanda’s Granola

I’m here (really.)
It has been another one of those SUPER crazy weeks.
School is winding down and Finding Photo Freedom is winding up!

There’s no Friday FIVE today, but I do have a YUMMY recipe to share.

When Chanda was in town last weekend, she helped me buy a Nutrimill Grain Mill. Oh my GOSH — it is so cool. We went bulk shopping and purchased barley, millet, brown rice and rye. We came home, opened up one of my big barrels of wheat and put all of those grains together with oatmeal (that I milled in my blender) in a 6-grain flour. We then used that flour to make DELICIOUS granola.

I cannot even tell you how much I LOVE this granola. I made my first batch on my own last night as the boys were cleaning up dinner. It’s fast and EASY (naturally, you’ll need a grain mill or all those varieties of flour.)

Chanda’s Granola

2 Cups 6-grain mix flour *
4 Cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 Cup olive oil
1/2 Cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Combine wet ingredients into dry ones (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer.) Spread out onto a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 7-8 minutes. Take sheet out and stir granola so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Bake for an additional 7-8 minutes. Add raisins, nuts or dried fruit after baking (optional)

*barley, millet, oats, brown rice, rye, wheat

Chanda sent me a bag for my birthday and I kept reading the recipe and thinking to myself, how can this be so YUMMY — there’s nothing bad in here. I eat it with vanilla Silk milk (soy) and blueberries. As I eat, I can’t help but think about ALL the nutrition and wonderful protein in my freshly-milled flour.

I think I’ve discovered a new domestic streak in me! In fact, I’m rather sure that if I had a small stash of really good dark chocolate and this granola, I could give up cookies and brownies forever.

p.s. I made another batch this morning during breakfast. I’m going to take it to the Farm Chicks sale tomorrow, so we can eat it as we stand in line. If you see me, ask for a taste!

Comments

1. Krunberry says:

Stacy, I have this same mill. I have only ever used it to grind wheat for bread. My husband loves granola so I am excited to try this recipe! What setting did you grind the grains on? What setting do you grind your wheat on? Thanks for sharing with us!!

• Wow. I am NO expert, but my motor speed and flow rate dials were set to point up, or about half way from zero to max — hopefully that helps!

2. scrappinmom says:

Wow! Sounds so yummy and healthy!

Thanks so much for the recipe! I would love to make some of that 6-grain flour. (I have a mill.) Would you please post the amounts of each grain that you put in when you make it? (ratios) What setting do you use on your mill (fine vs. coarse or whereabouts on that scale)?

Thanks again! Just love this sharing and community and support you offer all of us out here trying to be healthy, creative, loving parents!

• I just dump a cup of each grain into my mill — I don’t even open the flour container until I’ve ground up all 5 grains (wheat, rye, barley, brown rice, millet) I then add 1 cup of oatmeal flour (I do this in my blender) to the mix and put it all in a Ziplock bag in my outside fridge. Hope that helps! NOTE: I can make roughly three batches of granola with the flour mix.

3. Oh, I’ll be looking for my sample. You can count on it. :)

4. Wow- that must be some granola if you could give up cookies and brownies forever! I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks.

5. Margaret in AZ says:

I love my Nutrimill; have had it for 8 years and love the whole wheat bread/rolls I can make with my fresh ground grain. You’re going to LOVE yours. As the previous poster asked, please post the settings you used to grind the grains for your granola.

6. Have fun at the Farm Chicks Sale! Wish I was going, but we’re headed to Billings on Monday to see Sugarland!!!

7. Ruth Ann says:

Gosh, I feel better already, just reading the ingredients. Sounds yummy. Have fun at the Farm Chicks, Wishing we had one on the East Coast. Have a great weekend.

8. Shelly Smisek says:

Gonna miss you guys! Work is calling my name in the morning. Have fun hope you find great treasures.

9. Yum! I’ll have to try and make this for hubby. He’s been asking for homemade granola. :-)

10. Oooh, sounds yummy! Have a great time at the sale and please post your finds. I’ll be missing it this years as my daughter is graduating from Pullman high today. Hoping to live vicariously though blog posts! Be sure to visit the Cottage Life booth, its my fave!

11. Sounds so yummy! Stacy, you are just fun to observe! We had a Nutrimill Grain mill for years and LOVED it. I broke it with some too large corn trying to make cornmeal (popcorn works better!). I’ll get another one day. Maybe after this next move…we’re heading to the west coast again! California–closer to the Rocky Mountains and family. Hope Farm Chicks was fun. If you went, it surely was! love, Amy D.

12. Do you think you could make this using just whole wheat flour instead? I don’t have a mill.

• Absolutely — if you have a blender you could do part oat flour too. I’m pretty sure the flavor is so yummy because of the mix of grains, but you can totally play around with flours you can buy too!

13. BARB TOPPING says:

Stacy, I am not a big fan of granola, but if you could give up cookies and brownies, this must be amazing. I think my problem with granola is that I seem to like the very fattening ones. The Farm Chicks sale sounds so cool, but, alas, just a little too far for me to drive today, ORD to GEG, and not practical to fly.

14. That looks fantastic. If you want to continue your domestic streak with your own homemade breads, check out the book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day (http://www.healthybreadinfive.com) or Artisan Bread in Five. Super easy to make fresh bread whenever you want, and you could probably even mill your own blend of flours!

15. Very cool! I think I’m going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

16. Kerry G. says:

Thanks for sharing this. It’s very cool. I’ve been thinking about getting one of those grain mills, but I haven’t taken the plunge yet.

17. I have a Nutrimill, too, and had most of the grains around the house (not being used!), so thought I’d try it. I did substitute a few depending on what I found. I just left it “plain” after cooking, but tonight mixed in some chocolate chips and walnuts–yum!

18. Yum! I tried it and all my kids love it too. Please keep sharing what great things you do with your new mill!