Happy 4th of July …

Made puff pancakes with whip cream and sprinkles after which Trey led us in the Pledge of Allegiance on the front lawn. Did some chores and then rode our bikes to the festivities in Liberty Lake. I’m now enjoying a quiet  moment on my summer porch and I thought I’d post some highlights from our weekend away.

First up … absolutely amazing flowers at Butchart Gardens! Geoff is becoming a perennial expert. If he isn’t hanging out or working in our yard, he is reading his flower catalogs and dreaming about what to purchase next. It was such a treat to walk around Butchart Gardens with him. I took over 250 pictures and got some pretty cool shots from some very interesting angles.

Second … a delightfully fun and patriotic birthday experience for Addie in Victoria, BC. I’m a little ashamed to admit that I didn’t realize we would be in Canada on Canada Day — but I’m SO HAPPY we got to witness the celebration, which included a living flag (see below), lots of music and food and friendly people, everywhere!

This is an image from 2010, but I’m sure it looked very similar (if you were a bird) on Friday. From the ground, it was a very impressive number of people, milling around in red and white T-shirts!

This post wouldn’t be complete without a mention of our delicious breakfast Friday morning. If you ever get a chance to eat at West Coast Waffles, do it! There are 3 batters to choose from (including a gluten-free spelt and rolled oats batter) and the variety of toppings works for every meal of the day — something you have to see to believe! We stuck to the traditional breakfast favorites and they were crazy good!

And finally … this little girl’s birthday present!
We got back to Seattle on Friday night and Addie got her ears pierced Saturday! She has been asking about a bra and earrings since she could form words. I explain (almost daily) that the bra is something she will just have to wait for and at first I told her she would have to be much older for earrings too, then I changed my mind. We watched a couple of videos on YouTube, so she knew what to expect — Grandma and I took her to Claire’s and they did a wonderful job. She is beyond thrilled and stops multiple times a day to admire herself in our hallway mirror — she chose the purple ones (February birthstone.)

Thought I’d better close with this picture of Grandma and Grandpa — simply because they look GREAT! They’re pretty awesome hosts — we show up and find clean beds, yummy food and great company. Thanks for joining us on our adventure to Victoria. We are so blessed by your examples and generosity — wish we could have stayed longer, but we’re (I’m) very happy to be home for ten days before heading out again! I’m cleaning corners of my house that haven’t been cleaned in a LONG time; I’m starting to tackle my email and I might even get to the bottom of the pile on my desk  — but then, I’m having a really good time on the porch too!

Comments

1. Such pretty flowers! And…congratulations Addie!

2. So glad you enjoyed your time in Victoria – the Butchart Gardens are beautiful aren’t they? Being from Canada I am honoured to see you mention Canada Day on your blog! We love our maple leaf as much as you love your stars and stripes – so glad your experience was delightful. And congrats to Addie on her earrings – purple is definitely the best colour choice! CHEERS!

3. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation Stacy, and a very Happy Belated birthday to Addie!

4. Looks like a fun trip over the weekend and that waffle looked yummy! Enjoy your porch! (Summer is only around for a short time and I fully believe you need to recharge on a porch or deck each and every day. My time is early morning with my cup of coffee.)

5. Your parents look awesome and so young! I’m planning on waiting til she turns 13 to let my daughter get her ears pierced but I may change my mind as well…
    She’s 17 months now :-)

6. Victoria is one of my favorite places on earth. We honeymooned there 15 years ago this week. :) I miss it and can’t wait to take our boys there with us when we eventually get back up there. Ahhh…

7. carol in seattle :) says:

Stacy, I love seeing you talk about your relationships…especially with your daughter and your mom. My own mother left me when I was 11, so I’m trying my best to be a good mom to my own daughter without having an example to follow. Thanks for your example to me!

8. Peggy Leland says:

Brave Addie! It took my daughter a few times to actually get them done. now she has lots of cute earrings!!!

Thanks for sharing your trip. Very cool live flag!

9. Krunberry says:

My birthday is in February, so I am partial to amethyst. Great choice, Addie! That trip you took sounds fun. Any advice? We are going on an anniversary trip to Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver BC later this month. I have no idea what to do!

10. Kristin Burge says:

Great photos and happy birthday Addie!!!
    QUESTION: What did you use as a template for your photo layouts (the ones with the photos and the ones of Addie)? Love it!
    Thank you!
    -Kristin B.

11. Another Canadian here :) So happy you enjoyed Victoria… Vancouver Island is so pretty, it`s where most of us from Western Canada would love to retire!

12. I have followed your blog for a long time and have also taken some of your classes. I had no idea Geoff was into flowers and gardening. Have him check out our nephew Kelly,http://kellydnorris.com/. Sorry I couldn’t get it into link. He is an amazing speaker and loves flowers. Before he was out of highschool he talked his parents into purchasing Rainbow Iris Farms. Kelly is a wonderful speaker and expert and I think he is coming out west for some speaking engagements later this year. Gardeners are an amazing and fun group of people to hang out with. Let me know if he would like some extra iris bulbs!

• Marilyn,

Geoff and gardening flowers is a recent development (obsession) He came home last night with 3 more books from the library — thank you so much for the link to Kelly’s site, he will LOVE this!

13. Congratulations Addie! My daughter just got her ears pierced too, so I know how excited you are to have them! (She asks everyday when can she change them!)

14. Canada Day is the best! So fun you got to experience some of it.

15. Cheryl W. says:

We went to Victoria on our honeymoon five years ago. Loved it and especially loved Butchart Gardens!!!!

16. Damiane Lucas says:

Gorgeous Photos!!!! Happy B-Day, Addie!!!

Stacy, I really struggle with Photoshop Elements. I want to make those nice photo collages that appear in your latest blog entry.

Do you make these collages on Photoshop?

• Nope. I make them with a FREE online program at Big Huge Labs — so easy, check it out here: bighugelabs.com

I LOVE this site!

17. What a sweet post! Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter- I still remember getting my ears pierced with my mom on my 5th birthday. A special day, indeed! :)

18. TracyBzz says:

Canada Day rocks! We watched fireworks in our local town. I am now on vacation in BC, the HOT part, not the cooler coast. It’s been years since I’ve been to Vancouver Island, I want to take my girls one day. Of course Burchart Gardens will be on the list of things to do. Did you have a Nanamio Bar – started in Nanamio BC, located on the island?

Earrings are so cute on little girls. Both my girls had them done at 6 months, this way they wouldn’t try to take them out and change them before they healed. If they can get 3 immunizations in one day they can get their ears pierced!

19. lynnette harder says:

Glad you enjoyed Canada Day – and what a beautiful place to celebrate Stacy – my favorite places in Canada are Banff, Alberta – Victoria, BC – and PEI.

20. I am so glad that you were in Victoria for Canada Day!! And of course Butchart Gardens, wow, nothing beats their flowers. I am blessed to live on Vancouver Island. However, I am on the opposite end which is about 7 hours north. I love Addie’s enthusiasm about her earrings and her bra LOL. Must comment on your parents, I know how close you are to them and I am so glad they could join in on the Canadian festivities and Addies birthday!! You are blessed beyond words.